Author Topic: Morven Rirchie Taylor - Old Deer / Udny Station  (Read 1668 times)

Offline alanatabz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morven Rirchie Taylor - Old Deer / Udny Station
« on: Friday 17 November 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Looking for into on Morven Ritchie Taylor - Born 1928 (old Deer)

Stayed at Udny Station, Aberdeenshire.  Parents were Mr & Mrs C/G Taylor

Worked for LNER railway, in may 1945 he was a Junior Porter at Dyce, before moving to Fraserburgh station.

He earned the BEM and Railway VC for rescuing an airman from a crashed aircraft.

he would be around 89 years old today, unsure if he's still on the go or if anybody knows anything more about him

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Morven Rirchie Taylor - Old Deer / Udny Station
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37328/supplement/5281/data.pdf

Tells the story of his bravery.

Of course he could still be alive today.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline alanatabz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
i found his Birth detail, bot not any Death.

Although he could have moved to England / overseas.

I have been in touch with a few railway and local heritage places so see if they know anything.

There are numerous newspaper articles from 1945/6 on his actions.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried posting on our Scotland page?  Perhaps someone there can help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Andrew Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I came across your message while looking for information on my fathers war record. My father was Flt Sgt Clark who was the pilot/navigator pulled from the wreckage by Morven Taylor in October 1945. I have a couple of photos of the crash site plus a cutting from the newspaper with a photo of Morven with his parents my father kept which is how I came to know of Morven Taylor and the VC he was awarded for his bravery. I believe they kept in touch for a number of years after the war. It was thanks to Morvens actions that my father went on to lead a full life, having 4 children, 5 grand children and 7 great grand children (at present count). Sadly dad passed away in 1995 but he often spoke of his wartime experiences and that fateful mission. He joined up in 1938 and flew throughout the war until the crash. It's amazing to think that our entire family all owe our existence to the bravery of that young mans actions 73 years ago. I hope he gets to read this as I would love to pass on my personal thanks to Mr Taylor for what he did for my dad, and for us all that day.

Offline Andrew Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, that should have read May 1945 that he rescued my father. I think he was awarded the VC in October.

Offline Pepper5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Morven Ritchie Taylor - Old Deer / Udny Station
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Andrew.  I came upon your post purely by chance when searching geneology sites.  Morven Ritchie  Taylor was my father but sadly, my dad was killed in a road accident in the Isle of Man in 1972 and it was at his funeral it was made known to everyone by one of his old pals about the plane crash and what Morven did on that day in May 1945. I am not very comfortable with the internet but would be happy to provide you with more details if there was some way we could speak on a personal level. 

Offline Andrew Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pepper5. Thank you for your reply. So sorry to hear that you lost your father in 72, would have loved the chance to have spoken to him in person and say thank you, what he did for my dad was something quite extraordinary. I have 2 photos dad kept of the crash site which really brings home the danger Morven put himself in to get my dad out. Dad was badly burnt below the waist and had broken both legs and crushed his pelvis in the crash. To think that a young lad went into the middle of this carnage to rescue someone, he really was a genuine hero. I understand how you feel about the internet, not too comfortable with it myself. Have checked and apparently when you've made 3 entries you can send a private message (this is my third entry). If you would like copies of the photos etc. would be happy to send them to you. Let me know and I'll PM you and we can take it from there. Thanks again, Andy.

Offline alanatabz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have published a book about wartime events in Aberdeen / NE Scotland in 1945 and included a section about the Warwick Crash

If you message me I wills end you a PDF of the section. I am working on book 2 and would like to provide some updates, so would be keen to use some of the info you have listed.

Regards

Alan