Author Topic: William Gladney Davies 1897-1964- 3 times Army Boxing Champion of the Rhine WW1  (Read 2396 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Gladney Davies 1897-1964- 3 times Army Boxing Champion of the Rhine WW1
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 November 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm. He was born Mar 1897, so 18 in 1915, so in theory should not have been able to sign up before then, so I am guessing then maybe prewar territorial in  Pontyberem or surrounding area. I will have another look through the cards I found

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: William Gladney Davies 1897-1964- 3 times Army Boxing Champion of the Rhine WW1
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
He could sign up aged 18 but couldn't go overseas until 19 although many lied about their age so they could.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this relates to your WGD, think it's only a transcription record

Don’t have access to F M P to take a look for you sorry this record doesn't appear to be on Anc*y  :(

Davies Gladney   1914-20   Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards

You obviously know who he married but in case you don't have the record it's also available to view on F M P

Davies William Gladney    1922 Carmarthenshire Marriages And Banns   
Dafen, Carmarthenshire, Wales   Transcription/Image

Davies William Gladney   1898   —1922   Carmarthenshire Marriages And Banns   
Pontyberem, Carmarthenshire, Wales   Transcription/Image
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 November 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Come across this before but discounted for the following reasons, which I assume are still valid?

"I would say he was a pre-War Territorial Force soldier with his first No 816, After Jan 1917 his No was 288073 This No was issue to the 6th Battalion Welsh Regiment.

This Gladney  did not go overseas with the 1/6th Bn until 1916. This was because he would have
been training the new lads who had joined up in to the New Battalion the 2/6th Welsh Regt.
2/6th Welsh Regt.
Formed at Swansea Dec 1914, in Nov 1915 the Bn was absorbed by 2/5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at
Bedford.
After this Gladney would have moved back to his old Battalion the 1/6th Bn and then
moved overseas to meet up with them, this is on the medal index card. 816 Sgt G.Davies.
Number 288073 was issued to 6th Battalion Welsh Regt (on 1 March 1917) - they were the Pioneer
Battalion to 1st Division on the Western Front.
Number 816 was his old territorial number issued on 1 April 1908 on the formation of the 6th
Battalion Welsh Regt TF. The low number - i.e. 816 then he served before 1908 in the old
Glamorgan Volunteer Rifles. This unit was based in Swansea."

NO WAY COULD HE HAVE SERVED BEFORE 1908 AS HE ONLY BORN 1897 AND WAS LIVING IN
PONTYBEREM NOT SWANSEA

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 November 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Don't discount him just yet.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I'd venture a scenario that has him joining one of the Welsh Regiment graduated battalions towards the end of the war and training as an officer cadet.  War ends and he leaves or ceases officer training (mentioned in the first post).  UK service only, thus no medal card. No LG entry of a commission in that time frame.  There is one newspaper report of a cadet taking part in a boxing display Bury St Edmunds in Nov 1918 - not a competition and not him but suggestive of cadets taking part in boxing to develop their characters (that's what the PT busters said anyway).

Joins up again post war, or stays in and goes to Germany with an unknown battalion.  Finishes his service with 2nd Battalion so puts that one on his later ACF application.

Proof - none.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
A reasonable summary or could have joined the TF at 16 but didn't qualify for overseas service until age 19 & went overseas with the 6th. (or his original Batt. as he was only attached to the 6th.) hence the BW & V medals. Posted to 2/Batt. & put forward for Officer training but returned to 2/Batt. as an NCO. Went to Germany with them as part of the Army of Occupation (the 6th. never went).
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.