Author Topic: Not Sure where to Begin...  (Read 974 times)

Offline Adrienne Lovett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Not Sure where to Begin...
« on: Friday 17 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone! My dad was adopted by a nurse at his orphanage in St. Louis when he was a baby. That was 1946. Once an adult he tried to locate his biological family and supposedly the records were closed and I believe the orphanage had burned down. I've tried all sites ancestry, my heritage, family search with no luck. So finally due to a rare and genetic disease that both my father and I have and now possibly my son, as well. I felt it was time to do a DNA sample. I did it through genes for good and the email said it could take up to 14 weeks. Is there anything that I can do in the mean time to to enhance my search? I feel like I'm at a stand still. I don't even know which country my dad was from! Thank you in advance!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not Sure where to Begin...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Missouri adoption records are closed but from early next year your father will be able to request an original (pre-adoption) copy of his birth certificate:
http://health.mo.gov/data/vitalrecords/adopteerightsact.php

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adrienne Lovett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
He actually passed away from Huntington Disease 10 years ago. Am I able to access? I’ve tried through the VA but no luck there.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that as a direct descendant you should, especially with that medical need, be able to get the assistance you need. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that as a direct descendant you should, especially with that medical need, be able to get the assistance you need. Good luck.

I would agree with that as there are exceptional circumstances here...On a different note...some time ago I approached the Missouri NA and they sent me a 72 page Probate report of an ancestor of mine, free of charge as they said it was their policy to assist descendants seeking help from abroad.

Good Luck!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Adrienne Lovett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
MO vital records just told me I would have to have a court order! Aye aye aye 😪

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
MO vital records just told me I would have to have a court order! Aye aye aye 😪

As an individual maybe, but what about your doctor looking for them??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Somewhere there will be a way to get hold of the information. Getting the right person at the other end of the 'phone or e-mail is often the trick. Keep trying.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)