Author Topic: mercantile marine medal  (Read 718 times)

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mercantile marine medal
« on: Friday 17 November 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
this message is linked to the topic I posted on Glamorganshire Board concerning my gg-grandfather Charles Wilfred Parris (or Paris).
He received during WW1 a mercantile marine Medal (see atttachement) and I would like to retrace his history during this war but I find it difficult because I'm French and not very familiar with the English history during this period and, as I live in France, I cannot go the TNA.
Could someone help me to understand why he had this medal and maybe help me to know him better.
I thank you all in advance.
Corinne

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mercantile marine medal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne,

Mercantile Marine Medal – awarded to those who served at sea for at least six months, and on at least one voyage through a danger zone.

I also have him aboard EUTERPE official number 114762 -  08/01/1915 - 17/03/1915 previous vessel same.
Read more at http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/141164#F4gW97rtrcTcuS8V.99

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,
thank you for your answer. I knew about Euterpe. On the document concerning his medal, there's a discharge number, but I can't find it on the TNA. May be you know why.
Regards,
Corinne

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I am not surprised that you cannot find him at TNA via his discharge number. Personal records for merchant seamen during WWI do not survive so the only documents that can help trace a seaman's record of service during this period would be crew agreements. For that to be effective you need to know the name of a ship preferably at the end of his service and you can use those crew agreements to work your way backwards through his career as usually an agreement will show the seaman's previous ship.

He was about 62 or 63 years of age in 1918 so it is unlikely he continued at sea although I could be wrong. If he did then his cards would be in the Fourth Register of Seamen (copies on FindMyPast) I have checked and I cannot see anything for him. 

Does the passenger list for Empress Of Britain in 1918 give any clues - was he shown as a seaman?

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Have just found Charles Wilfred Parris on the Empress of Britain 14 August 1918 and he was crew shown as a Donkeyman.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
If you obtain the 1918 crew agreement for EMPRESS OF BRITAIN official number 120940 he should be noted on the Articles of Agreement as a member of her crew and this should also list his previous ship. In this way it is possible to find out previous ships - with a bit of luck.

Try this at the National Archives Kew -  BT 165/1934 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1733793
Ship's Name Empress of Britain Official Number 120940 Dates of Voyages 17 June 1918 - 4 January 1919 and 26 April 1919 - 18 May 1919.

The crew agreement is usually held within the official logbook although I am not 100% sure about BT 165 whether the crew agreement has been removed. Only way to be sure is to get the file.

You could also contact The Maritime History Archive in Canada as they also hold crew agreements for this ship. There is one for 1919 and the 1918 agreement could be held within. No harm in emailing them to ask if your relation is mentioned. mha@mun.ca

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,
thank you for your help. Concerning the empresse of britain, thanks to Willyam on Glamorganshire board,  I've got the following informations : "On 14 August he is listed as a passenger arriving in New York on the “Empress of Britain”. The image of the passenger list shows that he was “in transit”, in the company of other seamen en route to Montreal to crew an unnamed steamer. His next-of-kin is named as his wife, Mrs E Parris of 26 Oakley Street, Cardiff. As his ticket was paid for by the “Ministry of Shipping” this suggests that the unnamed steamer was a British ship and that he will be on another crew list somewhere."
But I still have not further informations.
Once again, I thank you.
Regards,
Corinne

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne,

As he was a passenger on transit, the crew agreement information for EMPRESS OF BRITAIN will not help so please discount that. As he appears to not have a surviving CR1, 2, or 10 card then the crew agreement is the only way to go but we need the name of that ship in 1918 and yes it will be a British registered vessel.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO