Author Topic: Looking for Alexander Davidson b1812-3 son of Alexr Davidson and Isabella Nicol  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Maggie Knockater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Alexander Davidson b1812-3 son of Alexr Davidson and Isabella Nicol
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I’m relatively confident that the unmarried Isabella Nicol who is in Pitblea, Fraserburgh - with her unmarried sister Ann in 1841 and 1851, and on her own at 34 Shore Street, Fraserburgh in 1861, with granddaughter Elspet Clubb - is the mother of your Alexander Davidson.

Many thanks for all that Ruth. It's quite a complicated story. That family obviously didn't go in for marriage very much.
I also found the census ages confusing: James Nicol was 51 in 1851 and 66  in 1861 whereas his sister Isabella was 64 in 1851 and 69 in 1861. She could make a fortune selling anti-ageing cream! I guess it just demonstrates that census ages are not that reliable.

This may have nothing to do with this family, but I have a William Davidson Clubb, son of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir, born at 26 North Street, Peterhead on 19 November 1871, married Georgina Cowie on 1 January 1908, and had a son William James G Clubb, born at 24 Ugie Street, Peterhead on 17 November 1916. William Davidson Clubb died on 24 November 1944 at 28 Ugie Street, Peterhead.

It's an interesting conjunction of names but I haven't got very far with this lot. There are a lot of Davidsons in Aberdeenshire but I don't have any in or around Peterhead. I couldn't find birth details for Alexander Clubb or Margaret Moir which included Davidsons but I notice that William Davidson Clubb had a younger brother George Davidson Clubb born in 1879.