Author Topic: 'Pairs' of blankets?! (Completed -- thank you!)  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pairs' of blankets?! (Completed -- thank you!)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Haha - I remember we had an extremely thin blanket under our sheet when I was a youngster and it was like laying on a prickly hedgehog.
Bryan was in the forces and I still have ex army blankets which I use as under blankets.

What I haven't seen for years are double bed bolster pillows and ticking pillow cases which had blue stripes on them.  I use ordinary white pillow cases as pillow protectors underneath the outer ones.

I remember my grandmother using a long handled copper bed warmer pan that she put hot coals in.
My parents had a pot hot water bottle and I still had it until it vanished with Mr Nobody.
Bryan's parents used to warm a brick in the oven and wrap it in a cloth and use that as a bed warmer.
When we married in 1964 I was given a bed warmer which was a blessing in the freezing cold damp quarters we lived in.  It was a white enamelled metal tube punched with holes and inside was an ordinary light bulb - 10 minutes light under the covers prior to getting into bed and it was bliss.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I remember being given at least three pairs of blankets as wedding presents in the 1970s - as well, of course, as pairs of sheets and pairs of pillowcases .... and some pairs of towels, along with a couple of "Bales" of towels - I think those were  two large bath towels, two smaller, two hand towels, and possibly face cloths? Can't quite recall.
- Most of the above are still in existence, if not in their original use. Blankets are handy for protecting things in transit in car boots, for animals to sit on, etc.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 November 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I remember being given at least three pairs of blankets as wedding presents in the 1970s - as well, of course, as pairs of sheets and pairs of pillowcases .... and some pairs of towels, along with a couple of "Bales" of towels - I think those were  two large bath towels, two smaller, two hand towels, and possibly face cloths? Can't quite recall.
- Most of the above are still in existence, if not in their original use. Blankets are handy for protecting things in transit in car boots, for animals to sit on, etc.

Snap! We were given two 'counterpanes' as well.  One blanket still in use ,  counterpanes somewhere at the back of the airing cupboard.  They didn't get much use as one was bright orange the other turquoise and red flowers , pretty vile even for  the '70's

Always have a blanket under the bottom sheet...are we of a 'certain age'. ?   
As for old army blankets, what were they made of?  Incredible to think the last of them went in the dogs beds not many years ago and they would have been my brothers from their National Service days.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins