Author Topic: Maudland Hood=Turner; Sarah Maudland D of Samuel Nicholson Selby - Family Help?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hi

Reasons
Looking for a Family Link from John HOOD (buried Selby 4 April 1819), likely the Mariner of Selby, to Samuel NICHOLSON AND the Ousegate properties George HOOD of Selby purchased (partly for James Collinson) in 1838 from Bridget NICHOLSON and others, Widow of Samuel NICHOLSON, Innkeeper of Rawcliffe, deceased.

We know George Hood's Sons of Selby helped a relative on the RUSSELL side to clear a Mortgage on Byefield, Selby.

However, it looks as though George HOOD has also helped a descendant of John HOOD (John Hood now deceased 1819).

Brief Summary
John HOOD's Daughter was MAUDLAND HOOD, who married Charles TURNER, Blacksmith at Selby in November 1794 by Banns.

Elizabeth Turner was Charles and Maudland Turner's - First Daughter baptised Selby 1795.

--------

Sarah MAUDLAND NICHOLSON bapt Selby 2 April 1832, parents Samuel Nicholson and Elizabeth

--------

But looked on Family Search for a marriage and can't get the marriage ages to work with Elizabeth Turner's 1795 Selby baptism?

Samuel Nicholson, aged 26 (born about 1806) = Elizabeth Turner, aged 28 (born about 1804), 4th February 1832, Selby [Licence].
Samuel Nicholson = Elizabeth Turner, 5th February 1832, Selby [Marriage].

Other Notes
a) Two of Charles & Maudline / Magdalin Turner's children were born Sculcoates 1797 & 1799.
b) Looking at Charles & Maudland Turner (nee HOOD) children numbering in the Selby Register there was another child baptism missing.

Any help please with the TURNER & NICHOLSON families?

Thank you

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

George HOOD's Marriage Bondsman at Selby in 1815 was Chester NEWBY, Miller of Selby, England and his Mother's Will of Hannah NEWBY (dated 1836 / Proved 1839) confirms Chester Newby's Sister was Jane HARRISON.

1803 Marriage - James HARRISON of Temple Hirst, Parish of Birkin married Jane NEWBY of Carlton, Yorkshire, England by Licence.
wits: John Dickinson & John Baxter.

1815 seems George HOOD's Bondsman was related to the NICHOLSONs of Rawcliffe, Snaith, England?

1808 Marriage - Samuel NICHOLSON of Rawcliff married Mary HARRISON of Camblesforth, Yorks, England, married by Licence
wits: John Hornsby & John Thompson.

(Camblesforth is just North of Carlton)

----------

Just a theory at the moment and not proven yet, but have several Marriages at Scalby, Yorks, England:-

1777 George HORD & Jane HARRISON, witnessed Geo Dodsworth & Thomas Storey.

1829 George HOOD & Mary LEADLEY, witnessed William HOOD & Thomas HARRISON.

Scalby M.I.
Errected to the memory of MARY Wife of GEORGE HOOD and daughter of JOHN and ELIZABETH LEADLEY Cloughton who died July 23rd 1833 aged 28 years ... 
Scalby M.I adds under the inscription transcription
1833 July 26 Mary HOOD, Shields, 28

----------

Perhaps the family link of George HOOD of Selby to Chester NEWBY, might be HARRISON?

James COCKIN (George Hood & Sarah Russell's 1815 Wedding witness), being linked through the COCKIN Marriage to Margrit CHESTER [sic] and Chester NEWBY.

----------

1830s
Probably explains why George Hood of Selby, Brewer, purchased the Nicholson properties with James COLLINSON and the Mortgage from Ann Etty, when the Court of Chancery ordered the Sale of Nicholson properties.

1811 Lloyd's Register
Vessel Helmsley NICHOLSON / W. LEADLEY, Hull, Lamplogh [sic, likely abbreviated for column], Lon. Rio. Jn.

ADDED (error) Vessel listed as Helmsley

1802 - 1803
When the ownership of the Selby house divided into two Tenements, changed hands from John Spencer, Gent, the Tenements were occupied by John Hood and Robert Nicholson. [John Spencer thought to be a retired Grocer, but several at Selby]

There is an Apprentice, John Spencer, listed in 1770, to his Master Thomas D. Fawthorpe, Cooper, Selby, Yorkshire.
[Thomas Fawthrop, Couper, buried Selby 1799]

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maudland Hood=Turner; Sarah Maudland D of Samuel Nicholson Selby - Family Help?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

HARRISON
Although, George Hood's Marriage Bondsman Chester Newby can be linked to the Harrisons via his Sister's Marriage and Harrison links to Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe, Snaith, in the post above (George Hood purchased the Nicholson Selby properties in 1838), I cannot link these Harrisons further afield to the Harrisons at Scalby, Yorkshire and the Hoods of Scalby (near Scarborough).

CORNER
James Cockin married Frances CORNER at South Cave 1789 and possibly the same James Cockin as George Hood & Sarah Russell's 1815 Wedding witness.

The earlier John Hood of Selby, Master Mariner, had proven links to the Jeffersons, Master Mariners and Sailors of Scarborough.

Dr Jack Binns in the Scarborough News of 2015 claims these seafaring Scarborough Jeffersons came from Lythe not far from Sandsend and Whitby on the coast.

Rather interesting that a Francis Jefferson married Elizabeth CORNER at Lythe in 1809.
Fortunately both survived into the Census living with a John A. Corner born Sandsend and Francis Jefferson was a Sailor, born Mickleby.

However, Frances Corner and Elizabeth Corner cannot be linked, because I'm having great difficulty finding their Births.

----------

SPENCER
What I have found is an unconfirmed claim Hutton R Spencer [possibly of Scarborough and the City of Durham, England, once I have documentary confirmation of his middle name as ROWE at death] with a British Probate listing "Hutton R. Spencer" (index seen), the claim is that Capt Hutton Rowe Spencer died at Steubenville, Jefferson (Jefferson County I believe), Ohio, USA, in 1807 and was the Son of Robert & Catherine Spencer.

HUTTON ROWE TREE
Interesting the Hutton Rowe Tree has some familiar surnames?

Added: The part of the Hutton Rowe tree needed is missing. I can see the Paxton surname and references to St Oswald. Catherine Spencer of Scarborough & Robert Spencer (Memorial st Oswald, Durham) also named a child with Paxton in the name.

----------

SPENCER Will Dispute
A George PEARSON Deputy Lieutenant residing at the City of Durham who later occupied the Wilkinson Family Seat, has written a Will for Robert Spencer of Durham, altering the bequests of £700 to each child of Catherine SPENCER of Scarborough, in one case from £700 to £7  :o and it has cause a frightful row in the Court of Chancery.

George PEARSON appears to have even written an additional part to Robert Spencer's Will (PCC Will Proved 1794), saying he has the power of appointment and that these were Robert Spencer's wishes. The Court of Chancery didn't agree.

Court of Chancery - seems they concluded in this case the fund be divided equally to her children

Added: Interesting that a Pearson surname was in one of James Hood of Selby children names.

I'm absolutely certain the dispute is linked to the PCC Will of Catherine Spencer of Scarborough (Proved 1782), as the Death ages of the couple match exact and also with their Memorial transcription at Durham St Oswald.

SPENCER v. SPENCER
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yXADAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA362&lpg=PA362&dq="Catherine+Spencer"+1782&source=bl&ots=XKRNRWt9l5&sig=ACfU3U3ZBkomIRHprlkluoYoo9Xm_g_wmA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMmLnCjejhAhUVu3EKHdbNAMMQ6AEwCXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q="Catherine%20Spencer"%201782&f=false

Also a Catherine Spencer of Scarborough Daughter has married a Monkhouse
SPENCER v. MONKHOUSE date 1798
SPENCER v. MARSHALL date 1799

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Rowe%20Spencer&_dss=range&_sd=1770&_ed=1820&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv

Added

HUTTON CHESTER
Interesting a HUTTON witness at the 1796 Margaret CHESTER & Thomas COCKIN at Hatfield, wedding?

Possibly linked to Thomas CHESTER & Elizabeth HUTTON at Wroot, 1795.

Mark