Author Topic: Am I still a Beginner/Replies to messages  (Read 3975 times)

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I still a Beginner/Replies to messages
« on: Friday 17 November 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon all,
I am going to show my ignorance at how this all works.
This will be my 4Th post and I am amazed that I have progressed this far.  I have read that after 3 postings you are allowed to stop using the Beginners Board.  Do I get notified that I can start using other boards or am I supposed to know that.....
Also, as I have responded to several of the messages I have received, I am not sure of the different, if any, in a Quick Reply and a Reply.  Both are options at the bottom of the page but neither tells me why to use one or the other.  I hope this makes sense.
Which brings up another concern.  Yes, I can be obsessive at times!  Is it preferred to respond to every message I get?  I do not wish to appear rude as I appreciate all the information, personal experiences, etc., but also do not want to take up anyone's time.  If I say Thank You, will they respond with You're Welcome........????
I was raised by a very proper British mother and an Italian father, who was a career military officer.  I was raised to respect, obey and never assume anything. Does it show?
Phillips,  Silvester, Sherlock, Bayliss, Tromans, Price

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I still a Beginner/Replies to messages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
The 3 posts is for permission to use the Chat Room and Private Messages, you can use any of the Forum boards at any time, even for a first ever post, the Beginners Board is just easier for new members until they get used it the site.

It's your choice which reply option you use, the blue Reply gives more options such as similes, coloured text and such like which Quick Reply doesn't have.
Thank you is always appreciated, and if no more information can be supplied is usually enough to close off a discussion.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Regarding thanking people individually ... Yes, a "thank you" is always appreciated.

It can depend on the replies or responses you have received as to how you go about this.

For example, if you ask a question and receive many many replies, it is acceptable to thank everyone collectively eg, "thank you everyone For your help", but I think some people like to be mentioned by name, so for example you might say "thank you jack, jill, john, jim", all in the one reply. Of course if someone has offered some particularly helpful advice you may wish to elaborate and add how the information they have supplied is useful to your research.

Some people will respond if you thank them, but there is no formal requirement for them to do so.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi 3Kittycats and welcome to Rootschat....just join in and have fun and you will soon find your way around and learn as you go.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Sinnan, Ruskie, Treetotal, and anyone else I may have overlooked.

Thank you so much for the information you provided. Has helped me immensely in moving forward. Everyone is so great at sharing.
Phillips,  Silvester, Sherlock, Bayliss, Tromans, Price

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
A Thank You just acknowledges one has read a reply.

There are replies made to posts of maybe 1 year ago or more, the person doesn't say thanks, so others wonder if the person has even read the reply or not......
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As the others have said, it is very nice for any help to be acknowledged, even with just a simple "Thank you." There is nothing more annoying than spending a long time doing a look up than for the poster to ignore it.  Also make sure that you give all all the information you can so that people don't waste time duplicating what you know.

I'm sure that you will get lots of help as this is such a friendly site.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As the others have said, it is very nice for any help to be acknowledged, even with just a simple "Thank you." There is nothing more annoying than spending a long time doing a look up than for the poster to ignore it.  Also make sure that you give all all the information you can so that people don't waste time duplicating what you know.

I'm sure that you will get lots of help as this is such a friendly site.

Welcome from me also.

As well as the advice from groom, I would like to add the following.

If you post a request for help in a search for a something or someone, try to  post at a time when you can stay logged on for at least ten to fifteen minutes. You will be surprised how quickly people often respond, especially if they require a little more information from you, or need to know if you think what they have found is correct. 

I am sure you will find the friendly crowd on here will do all they can to help.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :).

I just wanted to add, don't be worried if people bombard you with questions or ask for sources of your information.  They are not trying to pick holes in your research, they are just trying to get things clear in their own minds before they start searching for you.

Rootschat is a friendly forum with some very knowledgeable people.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton