Author Topic: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)  (Read 3708 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Because, my George Hood's 1815 Marriage Allegation has been altered and seemingly "Church" added, I am wondering if my ancestor felt he was exempt to begin with, from marrying in the Parish Church?

There must once have been a file, or Diocese records informing someone in the C of E at some level, that Marriages exempt under Hardwicke's Marriage Act, were about to take place at venues, outside of the Parish Church.

I have asked if such records still survive.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 April 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

Seems the Methodists could legally perform marriages from 1795, so there were Marriages outside the Anglican / Church of England (besides those exempt) and therefore my previous comments misleading.

"The Methodist Church was first officially recognised in 1795 and authorised to perform marriages and other sacraments."

I am also led to believe that clandestine and irregular marriages before 1795 were occurring. I suppose a Nonconformist minister or a Catholic priest is not always likely to keep a record of himself breaking the Law.

At Selby it was claimed that they never kept any records of their 18th Century Wesleyan Chapel activies. Selby Chapel opened later 1785, no early records found yet.

Methodist Members by Circuit name.
By:-
1781 Bradford 1,074 members.
1782 Sheffield 512 members.
1784 Scarborough 598 members.
1787 York 920 members.
1788 Macclesfield 1,208 members.
1790 Grimsby 625 members.
1792 Leeds 2,119 members.
1796 Barnard Castle 458 members.
1796 Ripon 589 members.
1801 Keighley 871 members.
1801 Sheffield now increased to 1,061 members.
1813 Halifax 1,420 members.

By the mid 19th Century they had lost tens of 1,000s of members.

I expect Nonconformism (or no records) are the reasons behind brickwall ancestors, or those who had left their Parish church.

Mark

Been reading Harwicke's Marriage Act 1753

Basically the Act required everyone to marry in the Parish Church or its Parish Chapel under the Parish Church.

Scotland, the Royal Family, Jews, Quakers and "Marriages solemnized beyond the Seas" were Exempt from the Act.

If someone wanted to choose a place and time of their convenience they needed a Special Licence from Archbishop of Canterbury.

For all others ...
You either:-
1. Published Banns Three Sundays in a row before the Marriage (the Act stipulates where no Sunday Service what must be done) and Banns would be published in both places of residence and if no Chapel in Extraparochial place they would also be published in the adjoining Church or Chapel to that place as well. Seven days notice of both your addresses was required before the first publication of the Banns.

Or

2. had a Licence and one of the persons marrying by Licence must have lived in their place of abode 4 weeks immediately before the granting of a Licence.

There were rules for people under 21 regarding consent and Minors, those having Guardians and those with no Guardian requiring the Court of Chancery to appoint one.

---------

Those marrying with a Licence must have been either marrying in haste, or not prepared to go through the Banns process, or Nonconformist.

Mark