Author Topic: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)  (Read 3670 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Because of the unexplained delay between the Marriage Allegation & Bond 16th May 1815 and the Wedding by Licence about two months later and George Hood's identity being unconfirmed, we decided to have another further image taken.

Originally the Marriage Allegation appeared to say Parish of[?] y and if the words do say "Parish of" then I don't see room for Selby and I am not sure if I see Selby anyway?

Afterward, it says "Parish Church of Selby"

I wondered what you make please of the original word (partly erased) overwritten by the word "Church", and if it was another possible place, or chapel name?

Mark

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me like Selby, then rewritten because they had missed out Church of before the Selby.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree, I think the original says Parish of Selby.  The lower curve of the S of Selby starts in the middle of where the 'u' now is in Church.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

That letter that starts in the 'u' of church, I see that as an l (a small L), going at an angle up to the top of the next letter.

Bear in mind it was not a marriage by banns (published 3 Sundays in church) and not a rush wedding either (about two months delay between Allegation and the Marriage Day) and he was buried by the Quakers as "Not in Membership". Also when George Hood applied in 1836 to become a Quaker I discovered in the Quaker Minutes he was refused Membership, as not quite ready.

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Jebber and Jomot (above) that the words of Selby have simply been overwritten with the word Church, as follows:

of is under the Ch
S is between the u and the r
e is under the r
l is under the c
b is under the ascender of the h
y is inside the final hook of the h.

I wouldn't read anything particular into the delay -- the licence would have been valid for 3 months from date of issue.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox and all.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm very much for all the enhancements, I can see more of what was hidden.

What might simply be:-
a) a straight forward error,
b) is also making me question if George Hood felt he had an exemption from marrying in the Church,
but the Church decided no before the marriage and changed it.

To me, in the 1836 Report in those York Quaker Minutes regarding his Application to become a member, the Quakers appear very guarded about what they say about George Hood.

Then when it comes to Jane Hood (nee Casson) being booted out and a Certificate of Denial being issued against Jane Hood for marrying William Hood (like they are doing with others marrying outside their Meeting), Jane Hood held the marriage relation to be of a religious nature ... her intended husband's religious views were known to her as being in unison with those held by Friends.

The Quakers eventually decide We do not feel called upon to take further proceedings

William Hood wasn't a Quaker, but Jane Hood is the only one who seems to be getting special treatment, in marrying a non-Quaker.

The others who marry Non Quaker Members are effectively being disowned (excommunicated).

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 November 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
What might simply be:-
a) a straight forward error,
b) is also making me question if George Hood felt he had an exemption from marrying in the Church,
but the Church decided no before the marriage and changed it.

To me, in the 1836 Report in those York Quaker Minutes regarding his Application to become a member, the Quakers appear very guarded about what they say about George Hood.

As you no doubt know, at this date the only groups who were exempt from marrying in a C of E church were Quakers and Jews. If George Hood felt he was exempt from diocesan jurisdiction, he would not have been applying to the diocese for a licence in the first place. The diocese was not involved with Quaker marriages – licences were issued only for C of E clergy to perform marriages within the Church.

As regards the alteration to the text as posted above, my money would undoubtedly be on (a), a straightforward error.