Author Topic: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)  (Read 3674 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm not that up on reasons around 1815, why couples married by License or had to declare their intent by bond/allegation or if there was a time limit to marry after the bond was issued, but deeper research into why they could not marry by Banns or needed a License may provide ideas for you Mark to further investigate. Just a thought !  ???

George born in a parish out of county or diocese maybe a reason

Illegitimate orphan who may have close links to intended by surname or inlaw. Example -Known/ unknown father may be open to have connections to the intendeds family if from a small community village of a parish like godfather to intended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impediment_(canon_law)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banns_of_marriage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_license

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales

In modern times, my brother C of E and wife Catholic married in a register office, both of their own beliefs but not church goers after their civil marriage. Their daughter, my niece married her husband in her own fathers C of E parish/dioceses of Wakefield and husband from a Leeds parish/ dioceses of Ripon with Leeds (Ripon in North Yorkshire but Leeds in West Yorkshire but both were North riding), so they applied for an Archbisop of Canterbury special licence to marry in a Huddersfield Parish of West Yorkshire dioceses of Wakefield  (was West riding)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 Wedding Venue Altered? (Any ideas of original, partly erased /written on)
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox and dobfarm

I am trying to look at every snippet of information I do have for my ancestor, for any clue.

--------

In the 200 + year old Quaker Minutes, when a Quaker made known his intention to marry at the Quaker Meeting, the Quakers still notified the Parish, quite what form that took, if every time and what paperwork was involved is unclear.

But the word overwritten by Church does appear to say Selby.

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
when a Quaker made known his intention to marry at the Quaker Meeting, the Quakers still notified the Parish, quite what form that took, if every time and what paperwork was involved is unclear.

With respect, ‘Notifying the Parish’ is a very long way from what is happening in this document.

He is appearing in person before a lawfully appointed official of the Diocese to make an Allegation under oath, secured by a Bond for a substantial amount of money, with the sole purpose of obtaining a licence to marry in an Anglican church.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 November 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
when a Quaker made known his intention to marry at the Quaker Meeting, the Quakers still notified the Parish, quite what form that took, if every time and what paperwork was involved is unclear.

With respect, ‘Notifying the Parish’ is a very long way from what is happening in this document.

He is appearing in person before a lawfully appointed official of the Diocese to make an Allegation under oath, secured by a Bond for a substantial amount of money, with the sole purpose of obtaining a licence to marry in an Anglican church.

Hello Bookbox

Thanks, I have both the Allegation and his Marriage Bond and I agree £200 was a substantial amount of money back then, to offer as a Bond. We have looked at Chester Newby, Bondsman born Whitley Kellington, a Miller of Selby and his family, all are fairly local to the Selby - Goole area.

I have seen the Marriage of a Staffordshire man, he has gone to Liverpool and after a short time there, married by Banns at Liverpool.

My George rents premises at Selby for 3 years before 1815, he could of had his Marriage published 3 Sundays in a row and Married by Banns, (his intended Wife was Baptised at Selby).

This perhaps suggests my "George Hood of Selby" was Nonconformist, as he didn't marry in a hurry either.

Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 November 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Been reading Harwicke's Marriage Act 1753

Basically the Act required everyone to marry in the Parish Church or its Parish Chapel under the Parish Church.

Scotland, the Royal Family, Jews, Quakers and "Marriages solemnized beyond the Seas" were Exempt from the Act.

If someone wanted to choose a place and time of their convenience they needed a Special Licence from Archbishop of Canterbury.

For all others ...
You either:-
1. Published Banns Three Sundays in a row before the Marriage (the Act stipulates where no Sunday Service what must be done) and Banns would be published in both places of residence and if no Chapel in Extraparochial place they would also be published in the adjoining Church or Chapel to that place as well. Seven days notice of both your addresses was required before the first publication of the Banns.

Or

2. had a Licence and one of the persons marrying by Licence must have lived in their place of abode 4 weeks immediately before the granting of a Licence.

There were rules for people under 21 regarding consent and Minors, those having Guardians and those with no Guardian requiring the Court of Chancery to appoint one.

---------

Those marrying with a Licence must have been either marrying in haste, or not prepared to go through the Banns process, or Nonconformist.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Its a faint possibility - But I have reservations

Just been looking at the u to r in church  not exactly a clean over corrected word the church word

Maybe Ulley that's over worded.

Ulley is in Yorkshire South West of Doncaster -South East of Rotherham-Due East of Sheffield.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ulley,+Sheffield/@53.3919309,-1.2792643,12.8z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487975f586eb7b47:0xd36b7e6146e9b9ac!8m2!3d53.3827338!4d-1.3011165
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Its a faint possibility - But I have reservations

Just been looking at the u to r in church  not exactly a clean over corrected word the church word

Maybe Ulley that's crossed out.

Ulley is in Yorkshire South West of Doncaster -South East of Rotherham-Due East of Sheffield.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ulley,+Sheffield/@53.3919309,-1.2792643,12.8z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487975f586eb7b47:0xd36b7e6146e9b9ac!8m2!3d53.3827338!4d-1.3011165

Hello dobfarm

Thanks, I'm ordering a Colour High Resolution Photograph of the words "Church of" just to double check. The word "of" looks like it is heavier too.

I have explained I am trying to check/confirm the original word/s underneath "Church of "

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
They way the writer wrote dithery Selby  - the mistake must have scared the heck out of  him

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
They way the writer wrote dithery Selby  - the mistake must have scared the heck out of  him

Hello dobfarm

Or it was another writer who changed it.

Mark