Author Topic: Two different births, or the same name for both?  (Read 827 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two different births, or the same name for both?
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm researching a possible ancestor from Scotland and am stumped. All things being what they are, I suspect the first "Hellen" died and the parents named the second child "Hellen" as well, but just don't know....ideas? Suggestions? Was it common to name a second child the same name if the first had died? If true is it likely they would be buried in a marked grave?

#1 From: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY7T-YPB
Hellen Plenderleith, Birth 03 Sep 1703, Christening 09 Sep 1703, Christening Place Skirling, Peebles, Scotland, Father's Name James Plenderleith

#2 From: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTBJ-2ZK
Hellen Plenderleith, Birth Date 23 May 1705, Christening Date 03 Jun 1705, Christening Place Skirling, Peebles, Scotland, Father's Name James Plenderleith

Thank you for your help

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two different births, or the same name for both?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
It was quite common for a child to be given the name of a deceased sibling.

Very few graves were marked by stones and detailed burial records are rare in the earlier period.

Offline Ticketty Boo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Why was everyone in my tree skint ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
My father was the thirteenth born of fourteen births. He was the third one to be named "Billy" (after his father) as two others had died in infancy. Not uncommon in years past.
Goldie, Marshall, Findlay, Johnston, McKenzie, Kennedy, Dalziel

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a different variation of this situation in a family of 6 all of which survived in to adulthood.  But both sons were named after their father, there is more than 8 years age difference between them.  From word of mouth I understand that the younger son wasn’t expected to survive so was quickly christened and registered, they hadn’t chosen a name so went with the fathers name.  He spent the rest of his life using a nickname to distinguish him from his older brother.