Author Topic: same or different McKenna man, also pls assist with dating younger man photo  (Read 740 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
same or different McKenna man, also pls assist with dating younger man photo
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seeking advice whether these may be different photos of the same man. The older man is one of my cousin's grandfathers. The older man is about 5 ft 7 inches. I don't think they are the same person as the younger man has a smaller nose and is shorter, though they have similar hair. Possibly brothers? Any idea also as to the heritage of both/same men? Thanks, Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: same or different McKenna man, also pls assist with dating younger man photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Deb, your request seems to have disappeared down the board, lost under the newer posts.

Are you saying they are definitely both McKennas? Sorry, to me they don’t look alike at all.

I’ve lined them up below. The younger man appears to have quite dark skin (unless it’s the lighting), a straight nose and a large chin, while the older man appears to have quite fair skin, a hooked nose, large upper lip and a smaller chin. Some features of the younger man - like eyes, ears, hair (whether it’s coarse or fine, for example) - are hard to see for comparison purposes because, zoomed in, his image pixellates badly.

I’m puzzled by your statement that the younger man is shorter. If you don’t know who he is, how do you know that he is shorter? Is it because his upper body looks short in the (distorted) image?

Sorry if I seem picky. Just trying to puzzle it out.

Regarding dating, I can’t help much. I have a very unscientific “feeling” that the younger fellow’s photo is from the 1950s/early 60’s when young men still wore trousers up to their waists. The other photo “feels” newer - but I couldn’t even guess at a date. And can’t help with heritage either - sorry.

Perhaps now that it’s moved up the board others will have a go for you. A clearer, close-up image of the younger man’s features might help, as well, if you could manage to scan just his face at a high-ish resolution.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: same or different McKenna man, also pls assist with dating younger man photo
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Peter. I meant to say that I think that the younger man was TALLER, sorry. I tried to upload another picture of the older man (yes both McKennas) showing his height but was not able to as it kept saying that I was uploading a photo of the same name even though I kept changing the name of the photo and trying to upload it!  :) Thanks for your efforts. I tend to agree that they are different people. The older man's daughter had this photo of a younger man with the name McKenna on it, nothing else and she thought it could be her father, but I don't think it is.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I think they are different people. None of the facial features match at all.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that what I think too!  :)