Author Topic: Womens Army Auxillary Corp WAAC badge id 1917-18  (Read 1532 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Womens Army Auxillary Corp WAAC badge id 1917-18
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 06:11 GMT (UK) »
My great grandma
I presume the hat badge is the standard WAAC hat badge but what is the significance of the lapel badge?

As well, what rank do the arm stripes indicate?
Thanks okkool

People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Womens Army Auxillary Corp WAAC badge id 1917-18
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 07:34 GMT (UK) »
The hat badge seems to be for the QMAAC as it appears to have a crown.

The lapel badge is for the Women's Legion

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/245638-qmaac-uniforms-badges-rollestone-camp/
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Many members of the Womens Legion (lapel badge) transferred into the into the WAAC in Feb 1917 and the WAAC itself was renamed Queen Mary's AAC so this lady could well have been someone who served in all three?? (sources Women in the Great War and QARANC history which has a section on QMAAC)

No result on the badges yet except that the QMAAC didn't have ranks as such sp maybe length of service badges??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tonepad for correcting me on the hat badge and identifying the legion badge. And thank you MaxD for the information sources, you may be right about the multiple organizations. She came from a military family and with her husband at sea and only one child it would seem to be something she would do.

It is too bad most of the QMAAC/WAAC records were lost, I may never know what specific job my great grandma had during this period.

okkool
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Forgive the rude question - have you searched here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/womens-army-auxiliary-corps-service-records-1917-1920/ and here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4437530

The Women at War book says that the first to transfer from the Legion in 1917 to the WAAC were the cooks and waitresses.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes MaxD, I had checked there. No listings found in either database.
okkool

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Have had a good look at WAAC uniforms and insignia. They were not allowed to use military ranks and badges.

So they had workers (privates), assistant forewomen (corporal), and forewomen (sergeant). Plus controllers and one other which I can't recall now (two mins later). These were officer equivalents.

Ranks were marked with fluer d lis and flowers such as a rose, I can't find anything on the stripes so MaxD may be correct with his answer.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)