Author Topic: Joining a family history group  (Read 4990 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joining a family history group
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies, have been on holiday for a month, so I've been reading posts, but ancient phone not really up to typing very much.
I went along to the December meeting and it seemed the form was not intended to be an application form to join as I was originally told but to record my own family on for my own benefit. A bit redundant in my case as I had gone further back on all sides ( apart from an illegitimate ancestor with unknown father) than the form had room for and have all my records on FTM software. There were only two others at the meeting, one also being the leader of another FH group for the same U3A. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Was the meeting of benefit, will you be returning  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure I benefited much from the one meeting I've been to so far, but I'll go to the next one. I was expecting some group discussion and the opportunity to help others if I can, but instead it was more like a classroom with the leader just concentrating on helping one person at a time with their research, while others waited their turn with no involvement. There should be two more members of the group, maybe it will be better if there's more than three of us next time. The leader has many years experience in FH and a lot of reference books, but doesn't seem to be quite up to speed on what's now available on the Internet. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how you get on.  I often wonder about joining something similar to replace my weekly visit to my local LDS family history centre that closed down a few years ago.  That was a small group of 6-8 but we used to help each other and discuss family history but it was before all of this information came on line. Some of us are still in contact now  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk