Author Topic: assistance regarding how my grandparents met  (Read 2943 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: assistance regarding how my grandparents met
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Although she was listed as a servant in 1901 it is possible she was not working for George Vidal. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Marmalady for your comment. Would a Coachman buy a newspaper!? Best wishes, Carlos

I have an 18th century coachman in my famiiy.  The coachman worked in London and his bride was born nearly 200 miles away. They married in London and their first child was born in the bride's home town hundreds of miles away and on the baptism record there is a note stating the father's occupation and abode. They met in the late 1700s because her employer owned two houses, one house was in the country and one was in London.  It is not unusual for rich people to own several homes, which are usually situated in the places where they have a commercial interest - for example the man might own a couple of factories producing clothing - cotton and woollen clothing need different types of water, thus he might open up a factory in an area where there is soft water for woollens.  Quite often some of those houses are closed most of the year and the employer will send some servants to clean the place before his family take up residence.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jennifer for your comment.  Considering I feel that this time in service to George William Vidal and his family is important in my Grandmother's life story, I have been finding out as much about him as possible. Best wishes, Carlos

You may find this helps .https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/text.asp?section=1457&sectionTitle=G.W.Vidal#.WhQvBNSLRPM
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline half-spanish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jennifer for that link to British Badminton. I already have the cartoon and obituary that was published in their magazine, as I was informed of his involvement with that organization upon his retirement by the archivist of Lincolns Inn (the Inn of Court that he was called to the Bar at upon his qualification as a Barrister). Best wishes, Carlos

Offline half-spanish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Apologies Grandarog if that last post should have been for you. I am still learning! Carlos

Offline half-spanish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena for that story. I agree an aristocratic family would have both a London home and their country estate, and I see your point about a wealthy industrialist having several homes as well. However George Vidal was neither of these having spent the whole of his working life in the Indian Civil service. Best wishes, Carlos

Offline half-spanish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Rosie99. I had had thoughts about this, but the fact that she is still living with her family in 1901 indicates that if this was the case it would be with one of George Vidal's near neighbours' - it would be improper for a young lady to be wandering the streets of an upper class neighbourhood like Sydenham, even if it was only too and from her employment.

Offline half-spanish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Marmalady. If my grandmother moved to the Bournemouth/Poole area because she was successful in obtaining a post in a local house through replying to a newspaper advertisement, what type of newspaper would the advertisement have been placed in in the first instance - something like "The Times" in order for it to be brought to the attention of as many "suitable prospective applicants" as possible!  Best wishes, Carlos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 November 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking at local & county newspapers around that time lots of them carried advertisements for servants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk