Author Topic: Kirkburton All Hallows Burial  (Read 1978 times)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kirkburton All Hallows Burial
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
On "find a grave" I have found the burial of William and Hannah Fitton died 1848 and 1874 respectively in All Hallows, Kirkburton.  Unfortunately I cannot read the inscription on the gravestone from the photograph given.  I have emailed the person who posted the picture but have not had any response.
Is there anyone out there who could transcribe the epitaph on the gravestone.  I think if one knows the church and looks at the photograph, it will be pretty clear where the grave is next to the church.
I would be most grateful for any assistance.
Many thanks
smallholderitm
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkburton All Hallows Burial
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Scroll down to see the list  link for  Fitton graves in Kirkburton

http://kirkburtonchurchyard.co.uk/name-search/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, dobfarm - yes, they do!!  From your link  :-*
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB

This is the gravestone link

Click on an image to enlarge

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/169277212/william-fitton

I know were it is - I'll go and see it tomorrow. Photo and transcribe it as it look readable. ( I have to some shopping near Kirkburton to do and excuse a nosh at a café. ;D)

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Enjoy your lunch.
Best wishes

smallholderitm
Fall in Ripon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Enjoy your lunch.
Best wishes

smallholderitm

The flat gravestone is covered in moss with damp embedded soil in letters of the inscription and needs a good wash, so the picture online 'find a grave' website is better than I could take a photo of today, I managed to see the parts of the inscription that is are hard to see on 'find a grave' image, and I've managed to transcribe from the actual grave and the photo image as follows.

The Purple text  is the inscription on the gravestone

" Here lies John son of Francis Brammald of this town, who died Dec 22nd 1777 aged  4 years.

Here also lies the remains of Francis Brammald, late of this town, who deperted his life, July 1st 1807 aged 60 years.

Also in memory of William Fitton of Shelley Woodhouse, who died departed this life on June 18th 1848 aged 65 years

Also of Hannah, wife of the above William Fitton, who departed this life Oct 1st 1874 aged 90 years "

Best I can do for you.

Shelley Woodhouse lane in map link

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shelley+Woodhouse+Ln,+Huddersfield+HD8+8PH/@53.5889918,-1.665839,15.36z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bd8676c21c047:0x8ea594885ba43251!8m2!3d53.5879747!4d-1.6697546

Dobby  :)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the transcription.  The photograph is not so important - it was what was written on the stone in which I was interested.
This has now thrown up more lines of enquiry as the Brammald name has never (YET) appeared in Peter's Fitton ancestors.
Something else to look into!!
Very many thanks for your help.
Best wishes

smallholderitm
Fall in Ripon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Glad to been of help, surprising for mid November to be a fairly moderate warmish sunny day and enjoyed the day out, ending up at 'Wakefield Pugneys country park' after for a walk.

That's not unusual ending up with more questions than answers on finding gravestone inscriptions, more so, when the grave is utilised by an 'in law'.  ???  Say a husbands wife's has a married sister or who had a member of her family member buried in the grave which is not that uncommon. This leaves a situation of finding the spouses maiden name, then having to start finding any of her sisters married surnames.

Good luck in your quest  :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat member ..Claire.. sent me this information by PM as I know the area better than herself to advise on.

..Claire.. does a lot of background work off board for members off Rootchat thread boards.
--------------------------------

William Fittons wife was a Hannah GOLDTHORPE - married her in 1808. Burial record gives her a Year of birth estimated circa 1784.

There is a Hannah bapt. 12 September 1784 at Kirkburton daughter of Joshua Goldthorpe of Shelley ?

On the 24th May 1784 at Kirkburton Joshua GOLDTHORPE married Ann BRAMALD - witnessed by James Pickles & Joseph ROBINSON.

Francis BRAMMALD married Hannah ROBINSON 25 Sep 1768 Kirkburton. Witnesses: Josiah Bainsley & Jo. Hardcastle.

The PR's are in a terrible state but there are Brammalds( & Variants)  c1750 +/-  for lots of kiddies - I think it's possible Francis & Ann are siblings or cousins.