Author Topic: Help for the marriage of William Sutherland and Margaret Watherston  (Read 1463 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help for the marriage of William Sutherland and Margaret Watherston
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Joger, I thought if you followed James it might give you clues as to James and William's parents. From what we have in the 1841 census, their mother looks to be a Mary.

I can see a few children for James Sutherland and wife Ann Reid up to 1857 and then it stops. Wondered whether they could have gone abroad. Also either James or Ann Reid could have died at this time.

There is a death for a James Sutherland, aged 35 in Perth in 1857, ref 387/1 165. Mother's maiden name given as Smith. A possibility that you could check maybe.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I see that their son James Harvie Sutherland was born in Glasgow on 10 November 1862. His birth certificate will tell you the date and place of his parents' marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for Mary Blair/Wheterston in 1883 in Perth - ref 387/ 436.

This was the year that daughter Margaret married from what you mentioned. Death looks to have taken place earlier that year.

You mean 1853?

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I see that their son James Harvie Sutherland was born in Glasgow on 10 November 1862. His birth certificate will tell you the date and place of his parents' marriage.
Yes the children (born in England )that I found on familysearch were born in Glasgow

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
The point I am trying to make is that if you get James' birth certificate, it will answer the question in the title of this thread, that is, date and place of the marriage of William Sutherland and Margaret Watherston.

You can get a copy at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

Yes the children (born in England )that I found on familysearch were born in Glasgow
If they were born in Glasgow they were not born in England. Glasgow is not in England.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for Mary Blair/Wheterston in 1883 in Perth - ref 387/ 436.

This was the year that daughter Margaret married from what you mentioned. Death looks to have taken place earlier that year.

You mean 1853?

1883 is the year that Margaret died in France from what you mentioned earlier. Sorry, my mistake  :P From my searches on SP, it may well also be the death year (1883) that Margaret's mother may have died. You mentioned earlier that both of Margaret's parents showed as deceased when she married in 1883?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 November 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes , she is said "fille légitime des feus Jean et Marie Bleir" = daughter( of the married )of the late Jean and late Marie Bleir.
Feus is plural , if only one parent was dead it would have been written  "de feu ..."
I suppose Bleir is BLAIR  (see the middle name of William Blair Sutherland , the child born is Glagow in 1856, Familysearch)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 November 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »

Oh, thank you very much Forfarian, I never had to search in Scotland.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
The point I am trying to make is that if you get James' birth certificate, it will answer the question in the title of this thread, that is, date and place of the marriage of William Sutherland and Margaret Watherston.

You can get a copy at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

Oh, thank you very much Forfarian, I never had to search in Scotland.
I'll tell the person for whom I asked (he cannot speak English).
Sorry  for my mistake.