Author Topic: Halifax bomber,LK923,coded ZL-B,427,Lion squadron,RCAF.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halifax bomber,LK923,coded ZL-B,427,Lion squadron,RCAF.
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello all my cousin Gordon William Chester Toal W/02 (pilot) Halifax RCAF KIA.
I believe plane took off from Leeming Yorkshire on the 20th January 1944 with crew of 7
heading for Berlin.
Three killed including one RAF 4 bailed out POW's plane attacked by night fighter on 21st.
I have been on various web sites but am unable to find report on this mission or what
happened to plane and where it came down(Gordon never found).
Gordon born Berwyn Alberta 1922 family lived in white Rock.
There are also photo's of crews which I would very much like to have if I could id the right one.
If any one could help be most grateful.
Ps would it help to post on Canada page?.
regards tobyma123.

James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax bomber,LK923,coded ZL-B,427,Lion squadron,RCAF.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
According to the 427 SQUADRON WARTIME LOG - JANUARY 1944 website
W/O2 G. Toal flew on 21 Jan 44 from Leeming to Magdeburg  (See map diagram for 21 Jan 44)

Text extract:
21/1/44
"Twelve aircraft were detailed for an operation against Magdsnburg, which turned out to be one of the most unfortunate efforts of the Lions in quite some time. Of the twelve aircraft which became air- borne, aircraft "G" piloted by F/S King, returned early because flexible tube to Navigators oxygen mask was missing and could not be found in the aircraft, thereby not permitting him to draw the necessary oxygen. Aircraft "Y" piloted by P/0 T.W. Cooper returned early after the starboard inner engine became unserviceable due to a technical fail- ure. Four aircraft failed to return from the operation including "D" piloted by the "A" Flight Commander, S/L Don H. Amot, DFC, who had only a few days previous been awarded his gong. Flying as second pilot with S/L Arnot was the new Officer Commanding of No 424 Squadron, W/C Martin who had recently returned to England after very intensive and meritorious service in the Middle East. The remaining three crews which failed to return were captained by inexperienced pilots whose operational records range from 2 to 5 trips; they were as follows: F/S R.N. Wier, Sgt G.J.C. Toal, and F/0 J.E. Dickinson. " (Note the discrepancy in Rank and initials for the name)

http://www.427squadron.com/history/wartime_logs/jan_1944.html

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
LK923 (Pilot F/Sgt F. Kelly) was a casualty on 8 Oct 43, from Skipton to Hannover.

Casualties on 21/1/44 were: LL139, LL176, LK684 & LL169
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello tonepad thank you for that I am a bit miffed that they gave Gordon the wrong rank.
They were all brave boys.
It seems like that mission was a disaster in more ways than one.
Thanks again tobyma123.
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.