Author Topic: Help which brother Owen or Lar O'Loughlin Meelick Laois Ireland. 1930s  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help which brother Owen or Lar O'Loughlin Meelick Laois Ireland. 1930s
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to figure out which brother is holding the gun. There are two options below. Is there any face recognition software.. any offers of help or just opinions they both lived to 96. Thanks

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help which brother Owen or Lar O'Loughlin Meelick Laois Ireland. 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Gun picture

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Lar

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Alike, aren’t they? But, to me, the gunman is Lar. I’ve lined them up side by side below.

Looking beyond different lighting, camera angles, facial expressions, hair length and so on, there are a number of real, albeit subtle, differences in their underlying facial structures.  I’ll mention a couple: Owen has more flared nostrils than the other two, as well as a larger, deeper chin. He also has a less symmetrical face: notice how the lines of his eyes and mouth are not level, while those features in the other two pictures are parallel.

Regarding facial recognition software: I think that software that could distinguish between Owen and Lar is probably still prohibitively expensive, having been developed for billions of dollars by government agencies. But it’s coming. I think of it like the improvement in CGI. In some of the latest movies it is difficult to tell a real actor from a computer generated one - at least in action movies where subtlety of expression is not a feature.

A couple of other things, Shamrockgirl:
You might get a greater range of opinions on this one if you ask the moderator to move it to the main Photo board. People tend to look at that a lot more often than this sub-board.

And, finally, a bit off-topic:
Something odd is still happening with your photo posts. I was able to import Owen’s image straight into my software (PSE), but the other two wouldn’t take until I exported the downloads through Preview (Mac). I wonder whether you did something slightly differently with the scan (or the saving of the scan) of Owen’s picture compared with the other two. Sorry, can’t offer a solution, I’m not too technically savvy, but you might get more responders for future photo restores if it can be sorted out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 01:48 GMT (UK) »
That is amazing, thank you and I agree looking at the 3 faces together it is Lar,  the nose is narrower. Owen has a bigger nose. I'm a little sad as Owen is my grandad and therefore is also not in the photo with the 4 brothers. However I knew Lar in his later years,  they both lived to 96.
My sister is doing the scanning, so I'm not fully in control, I wish I knew the problem and thanks again. Also for telling me about the different pages.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 17 04:52 GMT (UK) »
I’m a little sad as Owen is my grandad and therefore is also not in the picture with the four brothers.

Claire, if you would like the picture of your grandad cleaned and enhanced it would help restorers to do a great job on him if you could arrange to send his image in again after having it scanned at a higher resolution. You are allowed to send a file of up to 500kb and the one you’ve posted is only 33kb. Just post it on the main photo board as a new thread and give the picture a different name (just make any minor change so it’s recognised as a different file). I'm sure you would get plenty of takers.

Another thing you could do - some people like it, others don’t - is to ask if your grandad could be “photoshopped” into the picture of the four brothers. It could be well enough done, I think, but of course it wouldn’t be “real”.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Shamrockgirl,
Following my last post, above, I worked on creating a composite picture of your grandfather and his four brothers. I hope you don’t mind but, rather than just deleting it, I’ve posted it here in case you can use it.
Peter.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree ..Nice work Peter.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol. :)