Author Topic: Parish in County Tyrone, can't decipher  (Read 796 times)

Offline Springwagon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish in County Tyrone, can't decipher
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Found this marriage register in Scotland, but I can't attach the name of Sarah Donnelly's home parish in County Tyrone to a real place. Can anyone figure this out? The rest of the document reads: "This 18th Day of February 1822 I married according to the rites of the Catholic Church Richard Paton Weaver Glasgow but born in the County of Donnegal parish of Stranolan (Stranolar) Ireland to Sarah Donnelly now residing in Glasgow but originally from the County of Tyronne (Tyrone) parish of _____ Ireland. The above parties were regularly proclaimed in the Catholic (struck through) established Church and produced a certificate from the Secession Clerk stating that no objection had been made to their intended marriage. They were also regularly proclaimed in this Chapel. Witnesses were Michael Collins and Agnes Clerk. --John Murdoch
Costello - Ireland unknown
Hartford - Ireland unknown
Foley - Mount Uniacke, Cork, Ireland
McGrath - Castlemartyr, Cork, Ireland
O'Sullivan - Ireland unknown
Bohan - Kiltoghart, Leitrim, Ireland (Glasgow)
Grant - Edinboro, Scotland
Reynolds - Leitrim, Ireland

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish in County Tyrone, can't decipher
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
It says Tunefeckle. Possibly a mistranscribed corruption of Clonfeacle ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Clonfeacle would seem to be the only possible (mis)match. 
It's in the SE of the county, N of Berburb and W of Moy.

Oh, and I'm sure it's Session Clerk!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Springwagon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the thoughts. I will look into Clonfeacle and see what I can find.

It is possible that the other line says Session Clerk, but I think it may be Secession because of the connection to the Secession Chapel I have seen in other documents, and the reference to Sarah needing a certificate from that Chapel. Any idea to what they would be referring if it did say session clerk?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »

It is possible that the other line says Session Clerk, but I think it may be Secession because of the connection to the Secession Chapel I have seen in other documents, and the reference to Sarah needing a certificate from that Chapel. Any idea to what they would be referring if it did say session clerk?

I am pretty sure the word is “Session” clerk, rather than “Secession” . The Session clerk was the head of the Kirk Session, the body that advises the Minister in a Presbyterian church.  (Select Vestry in the Church of England).

It was the practice in the 1800s to write a double “ss”, as in the word Session, with a long s and a short s. That’s what I see there, and I have seen it in many other places. It’s true that there were (and still are) Secession churches. But that’s not what this is referring to here.
Elwyn

Offline Springwagon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwin, for clarifying that for me. Very interesting! If they were married in the Catholic Church, but needed a certificate from the Presbyterian Church, would that imply then that one of the couple was Presbyterian?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
It says: “Both parties were regularly proclaimed in the Established church…..”  I read that as meaning they had their marriage banns read in the Church of Scotland (which is the established church in Scotland). 

I had a look at the 1901 Irish census for Donegal and for Londonderry and all the Patons in it are Presbyterian. None were RC. Probably Richard was Presbyterian. So a mixed marriage.

Elwyn