Author Topic: Gate Pa and Te Ranga, New Zealand 1864  (Read 472 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gate Pa and Te Ranga, New Zealand 1864
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 04:30 GMT (UK) »
I am updating my list of participants at the Battles of Gate Pa (29 April 1864) and Te Ranga (21 June 1864) to include the names of those not previously included, plus birth and death details.  The following is a link to this information:

http://tauranga.kete.net.nz/documents/0000/0000/0387/Participants_at_Gate_Pa_and_Te_Ranga_1864.pdf

As this list is a work-in-progress I would be grateful for any assistance with the details of additional names and/or birth and death details.  If providing birth and death details for someone already on the list please include Regiment and Regimental Number.

I have obtained some birth information from the book "Discharged in New Zealand by Hugh and Lyn Hughes, NZ Society of Genealogists.

Thanks
WNW

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Gate Pa and Te Ranga, New Zealand 1864
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi WNW,

You might be interested in this I posted on Rootschat in 2015.

Hi all,
When I was in Hamilton last early year I did a card search at Hamilton Library for my Family name.

I result came up as a Photo from 1867.
The Staff could not find it so I came back later to find they had done a lot of searching and the item was at the Waikato Museum.
(very helpful they were)

I had to make an appointment to view it as it was in the Vault.

So if anyone has Ancestors who were British Soldiers particulary in the Waikato Campaign the Album is AMAZING.

My Description;
"Leather Bound Photo Album containing at least 30-40 Photos of Soldiers and Wives and some Children (from memory)
Most named"

It is one of the most lovely things I have ever seen and in beautiful condition.

Why it is not on display I cant understand.
It should be scanned and put on display and on-line on the Museum Website

I am posting this a long time after I viewed it as I lost the details and have just found them again;

Although my Cummins Family arrived NZ 1865 the Cummins Photo in the Album was not a Ancestor of mine.

Library Info if anyone wants to see it;

Photo Album
"Waikato Campaign" 1867
Donated 1967 by Mrs Hickman
Ref; 1966/121/1

Whether it contains photos of any people you have on your database I cant be sure of. But if you are near Hamilton it might be worth looking at.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gate Pa and Te Ranga, New Zealand 1864
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish for your posting.  The album sounds well worth viewing.  As you suggest it would be good if the photos were scanned and available for viewing online.

WNW