Author Topic: Margaret Harper c 1836 Wales - d 1910 Chewton, Victoria  (Read 8209 times)

Offline SueX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Harper c 1836 Wales - d 1910 Chewton, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone. I have just become a member of RootsChat and I am very interested in your information on Margaret Harper as she would be my great great grandmother on my fathers side (my maiden name is Williams). Thank you for taken us one step further back in our search for our heritage.I would love to be able to fill in any gaps if I am able.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, SueX

I've just had another look at the info on Margaret HARPER.

On the birth certificate of the second son, William Nathan WILLIAMS, (Reply #19) her birthplace is given as Chatham, England.  As the father was the informant it's more likely to be correct than the birthplace shown on her death certificate, where the informant was her son-in-law.

I'm not sure if this baptism, from https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2TB-12W has been posted on any of the threads, although it has been mentioned a few times.

Margaret HARPER
Christening: 02 Nov 1834 at St Mary's, Chatham, Kent, England
Father's Name:   Duncan Harper
Mother's Name:   Letitia Harper

I cannot see any of these in 1841 census.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.This information is really valuable.
Margaret Williams was the mother of my great grandfather John Henry .My grandfather was Vincent John Williams.
Regards
Sue

Offline SueX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 February 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
My family believe that we are the direct descendants of Margaret Harper & Gerorge Williams,who appear to have had 11 children.
Strangely though,our great grandfather John Henry has not been listed in their record of births.We believe he was born in Chewton on 11th June 1863.
Which is the best way to verify this please
With Thanks
Sue

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 February 18 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Is the information about John Henry's parents and birthplace from his marriage cert?

John's father is named as George Haswell WILLIAMS when he died.

There was a birth registered in Victoria in 1857 for a George Oswald WILLIAMS, son of George and Margaret, but this child was baptised as George Haswell WILLIAMS, so perhaps a misunderstanding of the name.

George and Margaret had a child Eliza registered in 1863 so it would be difficult for another child to have been born in the middle of the year, though Eliza may have been born in 1862 and registered in 1863. 

The most obvious place for John to fit in is between William and Eliza.  If you get the 1864 birth cert for Emma it should show how many male and female children were living.

Apart from that you may have to find out where the children were baptised and check the church registers.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 February 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Having now taken the time to read the rest of the thread  ;D I see that Janelle has Margaret's death cert so perhaps she can tell you the names and ages of the children listed there.

Also adding that in reply #19 where William Nathan's birth cert has been posted, I think the previous issue reads as "two children living one dead".

Debra  :)

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 February 18 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone. I have just become a member of RootsChat and I am very interested in your information on Margaret Harper as she would be my great great grandmother on my fathers side (my maiden name is Williams). Thank you for taken us one step further back in our search for our heritage.I would love to be able to fill in any gaps if I am able.

Hello Sue

I am so sorry for my silence, but I wasn’t thinking to watch for action on this topic.

Welcome to RC from me, too.

I’m at work just now, lunchtime phone internet browsing and saw this topic in the list of “unread items “. When I get home, and after dinner, I’ll look in detail at yours replies/questions here and help you with what I have gathered.

Salute
Janelle

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
My family believe that we are the direct descendants of Margaret Harper & Gerorge Williams,who appear to have had 11 children.
Strangely though,our great grandfather John Henry has not been listed in their record of births.We believe he was born in Chewton on 11th June 1863.
Which is the best way to verify this please
With Thanks
Sue

Sue,

I have 12 Children for GWW and Margaret, as follows

1855  Mary Ann
1857  George Oswald (Haswell on his baptism)
1859 William Nathan  **
1861  John Henry  ^^
1863  Eliza
1864  Emma
1866  Alfred Robert
1868  Richard Walter
1870  Edward
1872 Agnes Louisa
1874  Charles Ernest
1876  Ellen Letitia

Victoria BDM site
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
only throws up 9 children for me - your John Henry is missing, and the eldest child Mary Ann b 1855. Some juggling of what you put in the expanded fields for father and mother's maiden name might give you success. Maybe you can contact the Registrar in Melbourne for a physical search covering the time period.
https://assets.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/transactions/family+history+help+guide

** William Nathan was my friend's great grandfather, and your John Henry was the next child for them at Fryers Creek, just outside Chewton, then the next sister Eliza was registered 1863.

^^ JH's death 24 May 1911 is before his birthday of 11 June, so he would have been just shy of 49, so birth year was 1862?

Your John Henry is in 2 public trees, and a pic of his son Vincent John with son's wife Lorna Doone Hill. what an amazing name!! Like being Tess D'urberville Smith  ;D 8)
The Blackmore who wrote LD was a cousin to the husband of my 5th great aunt Frances Warren, in and around Clayhidon, Devon.  ;D 8)

Have you checked out the 2011 posts by Teresa1 on here? Wonderful stuff ... But she isn't active these days.

I can not find evidence of how GWW or Margaret arrive separately at the gold fields.
Londoners aren't working as gold miners in London, but he never does anything else until he dies.

Anc*'s Australian Birth Index has Margaret's maiden name as ... Puceinall, against Mary Ann's registration.  :o bizzare, no wonder it isn't for me on Vic bdm,  ;D

I have found 2 of Margaret's siblings' baptisms using FindMyPast and anc*.

Salute,
Janelle

Offline SueX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you for such amazing information and for all the time that you have spent researching my request - I am truly thankful.
Vincent John Williams and Lorna Doone Hill are my grandparents on my fathers side.On what site did you see the photo of them? I would love to find it and see it myself.Unfortunately I never asked them enough questions about their lives when they were alive,so that I would know more about my family tree.
I will be travelling to Chewton early March to hopefully find out more information.
Thank you once again,for your priceless information and I look forward to piecing it all together.
Regards
Sue E