Author Topic: Marriage of Charles and Christiana Berry  (Read 1081 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage of Charles and Christiana Berry
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if anyone can give me any clue/hints/tips as to how I might find the marriage of my 5G Grandparents Charles (Charlie) and Christiana (Christie) Berry.
According to the 1851 census, Charles was born in Cambridgeshire, Christiana was born in Dumfries.
Their son John (my 4G Grandfather) was born in Annandale c1807. I have 2 later children born in Carlisle. Charles and Christiana's years of birth vary wildly, but from death certs Charles was born in 1772 and Christiana 1778.
Charles and Christiana were renowned local "Smashers" (they passed counterfeit coins) their son John was transported in 1836 for stabbing his friend Robert Winter in a drunken brawl at Appleby horse Fair
Any help would be wonderful
Thanks
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline Dma464

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles and Christiana Berry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
I know this is a long shot, however does anyone have a transcript of the assize record relating to the stabbing of Robert Winter or any information on the Winter family.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
I've searched Cumbria, Westmorland and National archives, no transcript there.
I have a copy of the newspaper report on the case, which is very detailed.
It gives information (names) of Robert Winters brother and father which can be used to start a tree

Offline Dma464

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
I would love to see the newspaper report. I am trying to work out why two of my ancestors were given the name Robert Winter Jarvis. My great, great, great uncle was born in 1840 in Soham, Cambridgeshire and my great, great uncle in 1859 in Norwich, Norfolk. This might be the link I need to trace where the name came from and if they are perhaps related to Robert Winter.
If the families were travelling together is it possible that they might have been in the same areas at the time of the 1841 census, I think the Jarvis family were still in Soham.
I know it may well just be a coincidence, however I try to track down any leads I can find, sometimes it leads the right way, although usually not.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
I'll need your e mail to send documents to you, PM me
I would guess that the reason your 3G and 2G uncles have Winter as a middle name, is because one of their parents was married to a Winter girl, so you need to work out all the girls full names

Offline Dma464

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
I have got a feeling that the older Robert's grandmother on the maternal side may be Mary Winter who married Thomas Legg in 1799 in Cambridgeshire but I am not sure.
It would also go some way to prove a possible traveller link that I have my suspicions about.
Odd how things turn out, I was always told that the Hawkins side of the family were travellers but I can't prove it and that the Jarvis side were Methodists!

I will send a private message as you asked. Thank you for your help.