Author Topic: Andrew Skilling - Cummertrees  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Skilling - Cummertrees
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandfather, Andrew Skilling was born 11 Sep 1822 in Cummertrees. He died 25 Jul 1889 at Hannah Gate, Cummertrees. Does anyone know if Hannah Gate was a cottage, and if so does it still exist. Andrew was a hedger all his working life. He was interred in Cummertrees cemetery 29 Jul 1889. If anyone visits Cummertrees cemetery, could you, please, look to see if there is a stone on his grave. Any help you can give will be very much appreciated. Thank you

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Skilling - Cummertrees
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I was working in the cemetery yesterday and had a look around. There are two Skillng family stones standing together covering 6 lairs.  However there is no note of Andrew. There is a James who died in 1889 over at Hurkledale Cottages plus his wife and daughter. The other stone is for a Robert and his family and that's from 1904. Are any of these relations? If they are then it may be Andrew is interred in a family grave but not recorded on the stone? The council offices at Lockerbie may have a record.  Cheers. Pete..
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information. It is most helpful.

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 18 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Further to your reply, I am fairly sure that both James and Robert are family but will have to do some more delving. According to Ancestry burial information, a Robert Skilling was buried 5th April 1926 together with Jane Skilling who was buried 1890. Andrew, who I am seeking was buried in Cummertrees 29 July 1889, his wife, Jane was buried 23 Dec 1902 and a daughter, Agnes 20 Mar 1914.

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
on the headstones....James Skilling died at Hurkledale Cottages 22 Nov 1889 aged 22. His wife Jane Anne Scott died 3 July 1949 aged 82. Their daughter Jemima died 16 Jan 1969 aged 79.
The next stone...Catherine Edgar Wife of Robert Skilling died 18 Oct 1904 aged 67. Jeanie Graham their granddaughter and daughter of James Graham, Silloth died 22 Jan 1911 aged 2.5. Robert died 5 April 1926 aged 92. George his son died 17 April 1938 aged 75.
There are two more Skillings in the middle of the cemetery, both married women. Janet wife of John H Thomson died 2 Nov 1971 aged 74.
Margaret wife of William McKinnell Stationmaster died 22 Jan 1940 aged 74.
As the Cemetery opened around 1890 is there anyway that your Andrew could have been buried in older family ground on the Churchyard? I will have another look around when I'm back in the area. Pete.
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 January 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. All the above mentioned appear to be my relatives, and a few more pieces of the jig-saw have been added. Thank you again for your help.

Offline Jenny Hewitt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 August 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I’ve been researching my family tree and believe Janet Skilling (married to John Henry Thomson) was my great grandmother. Their daughter, Catherine Thomson, was my Father’s mother. Did you work out if/where Janet Skilling (died 1971 age 74 according this thread) was in your family? E.g do you know who Janet’s parents were? Hoping you’re still active on the forum or you get a notification. Best wishes