Author Topic: 6th Battalion-Royal Artillery William Hardie  (Read 971 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
6th Battalion-Royal Artillery William Hardie
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where the 6th Battalion was stationed between 1805 and 1827. An ancestor, William Hardie (Hardy), was born in 1786 in Polmont, Falkirk, Scotland and enlisted in the military in 1805: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14452982
This records doesn't state which battalion of the Royal Artillery that he joined without purchasing the document. He retired as a sergeant in Nov 1827 Woolwich from the 6th Battalion-Royal Artillery and died in 1860 in Falkirk. I know that he was overseas at one point around 1818 (France) because his daughter Christian was born there according to the 1851 census. His wife Jean was born in Ireland according to the 1851 census. I am not sure if this means Wm married in Ireland during his military career or somewhere else. Thanks for any help!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Battalion-Royal Artillery William Hardie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
This book https://archive.org/details/historyroyalreg03duncgoog has a section on 6th Battalion although I fear it probably doesn't answer the question.  The note on page 412 relating to the reduction of companies and the renumbering of those that remained in 1819 puts into perspective the difficulty of tracking companies at that time!  The remainder of the book may help with regard to France.

There is also a newspaper report of March 1826 which speaks of "a company of 6th Battalion at Leith Fort".

Snap shots I'm afraid.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD that is helpful!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 03:41 GMT (UK) »
William Hardy b 1787 Polmount. .  Sergeant 6th Battalion Royal Artillery. Enlisted 1805. Discharged with chronic rheumatism in 1827. Conduct good. A Tailor by trade. No mention of where he served.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. That is him!