Author Topic: I have important documents and I want your help  (Read 11824 times)

Offline Gaming

• RootsChat Extra
  • I expected your separation difficult my father
    • View Profile
Re: I have important documents and I want your help
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 19 November 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
It seems fairly clear that you are NOT merely trying to trace your family history but have other reasons. If you are trying to claim citizenship, residency or some sort of 'amnesty' you will need proper documents. Rootschat is a forum for helping people find their ancestors and not legal purposes.

I want to know my documents
Because it belongs to my family and grandmother in the box at home
I do not know whether it belongs to the law or the ancestors
I entered this place to benefit
And indeed I have lost much, but I have no desire, I have not understood it
Of these documents

Offline Gaming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 19 November 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
It seems fairly clear that you are NOT merely trying to trace your family history but have other reasons. If you are trying to claim citizenship, residency or some sort of 'amnesty' you will need proper documents. Rootschat is a forum for helping people find their ancestors and not legal purposes.

I have a desire to understand these documents

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 26 November 17 03:23 GMT (UK) »
A new link has been added in conjunction with this thread...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783170.msg6378654

To save duplication of effort.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 26 November 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage to a Mary J Williamson in 1925 in South Shields but name is Chief Ahmed.

Sadly followed by a death for Chief Ahmed in 1928 also in South Shields.

I think a Timeline is needed for all the names/dates/events on this thread?

Just a thought but..

Is it possible (looking at other info.), the person who died in 1928 was the g g/father  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 26 November 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
The Chief Ahmed who died in 1928 South Shields was age 30- so born c1898.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 26 November 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
My understanding of this is
grandrather b 1898 Aden
arrived in Britain 1920s
Fireman aboard Merchant/Naval ships
Was in Britain 15 years
Went back to Aden? 1930s
Died in Aden 1988 aged 90

Father possibly born South Shields went back to Aden? when young can't recall much about life in Britain still living

Gaming found the documents in grandfathers/fathers house and would like to understand their meaning

So the Chief Ahmed who died in 1928 isn't the grandfather or father of Gaming

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »

Gaming found the documents in grandfathers/fathers house and would like to understand their meaning

The documents, in the order they appear in the first post, are:

1.   Visitor’s Pass for Aden.  That’s a document issued by the immigration authorities in Aden, allowing the holder to stay there as a visitor, for 2 months from 14th May 1934.
2.   Certificate of Registration. That’s a document, issued by the British police, recording the fact that an Alien (ie someone who was not a British or Commonwealth citizen) had registered with them. At that period it was routine for most alien nationals staying in the UK for more than 3 months to be registered with the police. It was used to keep a track of where they were living and working and also if they had left the country. Date of entry to the UK was recorded as 6th April 1925.  So it shows a) he was not a British citizen at that time, and b) that he resided in the UK for longer than just a short visit. Exactly how long is probably recorded within the document.
3.   Postcard of the vessel Atlantis at the port of Dubrovnik.
4.   Seaman’s Discharge Certificate. A document issued to merchant sailors to track their voyages and conduct on board. In this case issued by the Canadian authorities. It’s a document which can be used by a seaman, in place of a passport, when travelling as a member of a ship’s crew, and when joining or leaving a ship as crew.
5.   A letter from Thomas Cook, travel agents. I cannot read the wording.
6.   A letter from the Post Office, dated August 1928, confirming that a telephone line is to be installed at an address in South Shields.

Then in post 28, there is an Argentinian Seamen’s book. As with the Canadian document, it could be used as an identity document when travelling as ships crew.

So, in summary, these are documents generated as a result of life as a merchant sailor, in the UK, Canada, Aden and elsewhere.
Elwyn

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:38 GMT (UK) »
From the document on Reply #32

On the right side page...

One page to be used for each successive voyage

Name of Steamer...Twyford
Company...Watto Watto ? ? London

This is Watts, Watts & Co , a shipping company formed in Northumberland http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/Watt%20Watts%20and%20Co.html
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Gaming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »

The documents, in the order they appear in the first post, are:

1.   Visitor’s Pass for Aden.  That’s a document issued by the immigration authorities in Aden, allowing the holder to stay there as a visitor, for 2 months from 14th May 1934.
2.   Certificate of Registration. That’s a document, issued by the British police, recording the fact that an Alien (ie someone who was not a British or Commonwealth citizen) had registered with them. At that period it was routine for most alien nationals staying in the UK for more than 3 months to be registered with the police. It was used to keep a track of where they were living and working and also if they had left the country. Date of entry to the UK was recorded as 6th April 1925.  So it shows a) he was not a British citizen at that time, and b) that he resided in the UK for longer than just a short visit. Exactly how long is probably recorded within the document.
3.   Postcard of the vessel Atlantis at the port of Dubrovnik.
4.   Seaman’s Discharge Certificate. A document issued to merchant sailors to track their voyages and conduct on board. In this case issued by the Canadian authorities. It’s a document which can be used by a seaman, in place of a passport, when travelling as a member of a ship’s crew, and when joining or leaving a ship as crew.
5.   A letter from Thomas Cook, travel agents. I cannot read the wording.
6.   A letter from the Post Office, dated August 1928, confirming that a telephone line is to be installed at an address in South Shields.

Then in post 28, there is an Argentinian Seamen’s book. As with the Canadian document, it could be used as an identity document when travelling as ships crew.

So, in summary, these are documents generated as a result of life as a merchant sailor, in the UK, Canada, Aden and elsewhere.

Thank
It was good information about the documents