Author Topic: Suffragette Colourised Photos  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Suffragette Colourised Photos
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the Suffragette/Suffragist movement for an exhibition and came across these amazing colourised images and just had to share:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4695980/Coloured-images-Emmeline-Pankhurst-suffragettes.html

Just amazing  :o

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Suffragette Colourised Photos
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Lovely job...love the one with the bus..

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks for posting, Carol, I am always astonished that colouring a black and white photo brings the person back to life.....
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Those are fantastic colourizations, thank you for posting Carol
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Great photos - thanks for posting!  I remember when I was in my twenties I met a very old lady who had been a suffragette.  She had been  a member of the union I then belonged to, and  gave us a talk about the struggle she and her fellow suffragettes had during those early years of the women's movement.  She also showed us her suffragette medal - the ribbon of course being purple and green on a white background.  I feel very honoured to have met her.  Brave women indeed.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Excellent!  They certainly come to life in colour!   And the Suffragette's still goes on all around the world, as women are still fighting for equal rights.

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Glad that you all enjoyed them as much as me. I learned that a lot of the Suffragettes boycotted the 1911 census so if you find that one of your female ancestors where not at home on census night, you may just have a Suffragette in your family tree. Now wouldn't that be something!!!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Great photos - thanks for posting!  I remember when I was in my twenties I met a very old lady who had been a suffragette.  She had been  a member of the union I then belonged to, and  gave us a talk about the struggle she and her fellow suffragettes had during those early years of the women's movement.  She also showed us her suffragette medal - the ribbon of course being purple and green on a white background.  I feel very honoured to have met her.  Brave women indeed.

That must have been a real privilege for you GS  8) Interestingly....the colours Green, White and Violet were symbolic as the initials  reputedly stood for Give Women Votes

Carol