Author Topic: Ashton Wakes  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ashton Wakes
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 November 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
As others have said - the 'Wakes' weeks were 2 weeks of annual holidays. The dates varied from town to town. The 'Wakes' weeks in my own Lancashire town started the 3rd Saturday in July. The adjacent town started the second Saturday in July and so on.

Everything in the town closed -- factories, shops etc. Railway station was packed out with people going to seaside towns such as Blackpool.

There was another town holiday in September - simply known as the 'September' holidays. I must confess I have never known of a single day being referred to as a 'Wakes' Day in the area where I live (East Lancashire).

Surprising what information you pick up on here!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 November 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
From the Oxford English Dictionary;
Wake;  The local annual festival of an English (now chiefly rural) parish, observed (originally on the feast of the patron saint of the church, but now usually on some particular Sunday and the two or three days following) as an occasion for making holiday, entertainment of friends, and often for village sports, dancing, and other amusements. (The word is now current only in certain districts, mainly northern and west midland; elsewhere the equivalent term is feast or revels.)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 02:38 GMT (UK) »
to the best of your memories any sports at Ashton Wakes? Boxing or may be wrestling bouts?
Thanks again for sharing your memories,my sincere appreciation.