Author Topic: Ancestry hints  (Read 454 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry hints
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Playing with ancestry hints, most distant and obscure found so far father-in-law of brother-in-law of 3rd great-aunt but I'm sure many rootschatters can beat this  :-*

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alston's Repository
Re: Ancestry hints
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
As someone who works offline and occasionally uploads a GEDCOM, Ancestry only gives hints for things which I already know.

For example, I may have a marriage certificate, but because the entries in my tree data point to my copy of it rather than anything in their databases, they suggest that I follow up the link in their GRO index.

No, I'm not going to adjust every record in my uploaded data to match their model. My offline data is much more detailed, including thousands of events which are thrown away when I upload them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.