Author Topic: Ancestry hints  (Read 2019 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry hints
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Playing with ancestry hints, most distant and obscure found so far father-in-law of brother-in-law of 3rd great-aunt but I'm sure many rootschatters can beat this  :-*

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry hints
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
As someone who works offline and occasionally uploads a GEDCOM, Ancestry only gives hints for things which I already know.

For example, I may have a marriage certificate, but because the entries in my tree data point to my copy of it rather than anything in their databases, they suggest that I follow up the link in their GRO index.

No, I'm not going to adjust every record in my uploaded data to match their model. My offline data is much more detailed, including thousands of events which are thrown away when I upload them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I’m currently being driven crazy by hints containing Coates of Arms and a picture denoting that this person died young.

I have a large tree on line of basically one name which I’ve been using to sort out who is who - large families reusing the same names in the same generation and in the same area.

It feels like I’m constantly having to ignore these hints.  Wouldn’t it be good if you could tell it to ignore all data coming from a particular source.

Nic

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
If you choose "create and manage trees" "manage tree" "hint preferences" you can turn off hints.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Or don't have a tree on Ancestry. Works for me.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
IMHO, quickly accepting Ancestry Hints as being 'plausible' can really screw up your tree data big time! It took me a while to discover that Ancestry Hints can be wildly inaccurate (however plausible they may seem).

Ancestry does a really good job of 'suggesting possibilities'. But if you're serious about genealogy, you really do need to know what you're looking for and verify the source data of the 'hints' in relation to what you already have.

Ancestry (IMHO) makes it easy for beginners to quickly build up a family tree based on 'hints'. After a while, when you learn more about 'facts', related sources and related media, you begin to wonder about how verifiable your tree (based in part on Ancestry 'hints') really is. In many cases, some facts and/or relationships are not. So then you have to start verifying your tree data (based on original sources) from scratch.

Personally, I think Ancestry does a reasonably good job in providing 'possible matches' (hints). But I think it could do more to explain the limitations of its 'matching' algorithm. Having said that, I've sometimes found a person I was looking for on page 5 or 6 of Ancestry's search page.

Mike

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
And some improbable looking hints turn out to be true. Things I would never have known to look for.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
I've recently tried using the Ancestry tree feature with a friend's tree I had researched, as they don't have a computer able to run the software I use.

Having uploaded the GEDCOM, I started converting the events and sources into the Ancestry style. It seemed sensible to look through the Hints to locate the Ancestry versions of the census images I had already found, and it worked quite well, most of the time. The entries pointed me at the profiles in the tree which I had yet to convert.

The first time I looked at the list there were 12 pages of hints, and I quickly knocked that down to 9, throwing away things like GRO index entries where I had a proper certificate. Some were obviously plain wrong, such as a marriage in the 18th century for someone born in the 20th. The most annoying hints were the "compiled from 7 other Ancestry trees" types, where I found that the stuff in the summary was, in fact, taken from the tree I had uploaded, and the other trees had little beyond a matching name, the majority being on other continents.

However as I worked through the list, the system kept adding more, such as marriages where the father's name vaguely matched someone in the tree. I've just looked, and there are now 39 pages of hints.

BUT - I can see why it is so easy for those who are not so careful to accept the hints as gospel, ending up with the garbage we often come across.

I've just realised that a large proportion of the 39 pages is made up of census entries, which are push at me over and over because the date I use (say 2 Apr 1871) doesn't match theirs (1871). They are, after all, American, so can't believe that a census could be organised well enough to collect all the information in a single night.  ;D ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
I have a friend for whom I created a very basic tree, of 3 generations. It was put onto Ancestry, and away she went. A week later, she came back to me, very excited, and said she had finished it, and it had loads of people and photos.??? ??? ???  I went online to check it out - she had accepted every hint, and had formed herself a VERY strange tree!  😜😜🌺

Bless her, she was then in the early stages of Alzheimer's, but as I didn't want to disillusion her, I told her daughter about it, gave her the info I had, and invited her as an editor to fix it up. . Since then, the daughter's done a great job, deleting stuff and finding new things, but she's kept it fairly basic for now, so she can show to her Mum, who thinks that she did it herself, and is very proud of herself.  Needless to say Mum can only get access to view!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections