Author Topic: John William Main Marriage needed please  (Read 1180 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John William Main Marriage needed please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
If I could have found it myself I would have but because I'm crap at this I ask others for help.

Here’s a hint  :)

The earliest he’d be likely to marry would be at about age 18, so start searching freeBMD from 1924 in ten year blocks.

Just search for marriages for John Main.

This will produce several marriages one of which is John Main to someone surname Thackeray, who on closer examination proves to have the Christian name Cecilia (i.e the one Carol and Kay found for you).

Practice makes perfect  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
If I could have found it myself I would have but because I'm crap at this I ask others for help.

The earliest he’d be likely to marry would be at about age 18, so start searching freeBMD from 1924 in ten year blocks.

This will produce several marriages one of which is John Main to someone surname Thackeray, who on closer examination proves to have the Christian name Cecilia (i.e the one Carol and Kay found for you).

I did do that I'm just crap
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
The website you need to have a play with is https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Less is more,don't narrow down your places or dates too much,find your own birth and parents marriage to get you started,you will soon see how to do it. ;D

Now we've found their marriage you can search for children.Tick births and enter the surname Main,and then under mothers maiden name put Thackeray and see if you find any that sound familiar.Don't name anyone on these request boards who is still alive though.

If the name you are looking for is Smith or Jones then you might have to put a few parameters in though LOL

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 November 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
The website you need to have a play with is https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Less is more,don't narrow down your places or dates too much,find your own birth and parents marriage to get you started,you will soon see how to do it. ;D

Now we've found their marriage you can search for children.Tick births and enter the surname Main,and then under mothers maiden name put Thackeray and see if you find any that sound familiar.Don't name anyone on these request boards who is still alive though.

If the name you are looking for is Smith or Jones then you might have to put a few parameters in though LOL

Carol

I do use Freebmd along with GRO FindMyPast Ancestry Family Search it's just that I'm crap 😂

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 November 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »

No you aren't  :)

Follow the instructions I gave in reply 9. Select 'marriages'. Simply enter surname Main, Christian name John, dates 1924 - 1934. Click search.

Scroll down the list of results you get and you will see a marriage in Tynemouth between a John W. Main and someone with the surname Thackeray.

Click on the page number in blue (533) and the names in full will be revealed to you!

Do persevere, because it is rewarding when you find these things for yourself  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 November 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »

No you aren't  :)

Follow the instructions I gave in reply 9. Select 'marriages'. Simply enter surname Main, Christian name John, dates 1924 - 1934. Click search.

Scroll down the list of results you get and you will see a marriage in Tynemouth between a John W. Main and someone with the surname Thackeray.

Click on the page number in blue (533) and the names in full will be revealed to you!

Do persevere, because it is rewarding when you find these things for yourself  :)

Found the kids using your advice cheers Jen