Author Topic: War diaries online  (Read 1697 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: War diaries online
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
They are going to look the same on a phone whether you download from NA or look at them on Ancestry and it is unlikely they have been transcribed anywhere.

If it suits your purpose, I'd be happy to look at each for you if you give me specifics and, withing reason, make a transcript if I can find what it is you are looking for - remember soldiers' names are rarely found.

I'll send you my email by PM if that would help.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Just to give an initial taste - a very brief outline of GGrandad's story is that his division were heavily attacked in what became known as the Battle of the Lys, the German offensive starting on 9 April 1918.  All four companies of 8 Borders were cut off by the enemy advance in the area of Le Bizet near Armentieres  While some eluded the enemy, many were captured, his POW record shows he was one of the many captured on 10 April.  That month the battalion had some 333 missing.
The action of 9-11 April is written up in detail in the battalion diary.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the war diaries on Ancestry aren't name indexed although you can apparently search on unit, date etc.  Use the card index to see what's available - put the word diaries in the keyword field.

Jane :-)

If only Ancestry was that good!  When searching for a specific war diary using the battalion you might be lucky - if not give up and go to the TNA website.  There you can get the Piece number of the diary and use in as the Keyword in the Ancestry search (leave all other boxes blank).  As an example the 5th Battalion Dorsetshire diary is indexed under Various (Infantry Bridages, 11th Division) - yes that is how they spell brigade and yes there are other battalions indexed identically.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Krazykat87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Sorry iv been unwell so not been on in a while. Illness has flared due to our silly cold weather here. Will look up more specifics when I get a few spare minutes :-)
Holmfirth, Austonley, Hoylandswaine etc: WIBBERLEY and FIELD
Marriages from above names to....CROOKS, WHITELEY, KAYE, DEARNALLY
Waterford, Ireland: POWER and SULLIVAN (Osullivan also)