Author Topic: Surname ....WALE  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname ....WALE
« on: Sunday 19 November 17 23:12 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was born in Sydney Australia on the 26 March 1884. 3 months later on 17 May 1884 her birth was registered as follows: Ann Eliza WALE mother Annie WALE 19 currently in New Zealand. My Grandmother was registered by her Foster Parents, whose name she took on so I suspect her mother never returned. I've never ever found her mother, I am wondering if the mother was known to the family who fostered Grandmother as they arrived in Australia, (names) William and Charlotte SAYNOR into Sydney on the 11 Jun 1883 x Plymouth on the Ellora. Wondering: 1.was Gt Grandma on the same ship, 2. was she a "servant" to the SAYNOR'S?  they appeared to be well off. Gt Grandmother may have got pregnant just prior to or on the journey as Grandmother born 9 months later. Does anyone know where the name WALE originates. I was fortunate when looking for her that the registration was indexed under both SAYNOR and WALE... All help appreciated. I did find an Annie E WALE born abt 1864 dying in Mar Q 1947 aged 83 in Birmingham. My Grandmother was called Ann Eliza and Annie Liza, my Mum obviously didn't know about her Mums roots as she put on her death in NZ 72 years in New Zealand but she was about 19 on her first appearance here. I know Mum knew Granddad came from Australia.....

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SURNAME ....WALE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for Annie Wale on the shipping lists?
(UK Passenger Lists don't start until 1890)

This looks to be the Saynor family in 1881:
Class: RG11; Piece: 4621; Folio: 109; Page: 44
29 Albion Street, Nether Hallam, Yorkshire

Saynor, William  Head  M  34  House Painter  b Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Saynor, Charlotte  Wife  F  28  b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Saynor, William  Son  M  7  b Sheffield
Saynor, Horace  Son  M  5  b Sheffield

It's unlikely that a House Painter would have a servant?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes I have looked at all shipping records available, but difficult when I don't know when Anne arrived in the country. There are unnamed passengers on the Ellora she could be one. I disagree about a "painter" not having a servant.They must have had money as they bought an .... for its time... "expensive" house in Sydney and ran a very profitable business for many years. However my question was about the origin of the surname WALE, I had a feeling it was Yorkshire. I feel that Annie might have previously known them, as there was a such a short time between their arrival and the baby being Fostered by them. Was Charlotte a "registered person" for Fostering?? or was she a personal friend of Annie. Would your be good enough to do a search in that Census for WALE. Glenda

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
A surname distribution map, for 1881, shows Leicestershire as having the most people with surname Wale:
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Map.aspx?name=WALE&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

Can't see a Glenda Wale anywhere?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Surname ....WALE
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 18 06:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry thought I had answered this her name was Annie WALE not Glenda that is me.