Author Topic: Gordon family from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia  (Read 2727 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon family from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Even though you can always see the sample name 'Jennifer' when you leave the box blank it does not affect your search.  The only birth that I can see up to today's date 1917 is the one for Norman Ivan that has already been posted.

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
  trying to focus on the son who you mentioned, William (John) Gordon who married Evelyn Catherine Gordon. I would like to discover if they had any children and I wasn't able to find any in spite of extensive searches on the census records. It appears that William and Evelyn moved to the Toowoomba district (probably selling the Croxdale farm owned by their parents) when their father died in 1914.

A couple of points in this statement need your attention ;D

Australia has no useful census records.
We do have online electoral rolls which is perhaps what you have been viewing.

There is no evidence that Murdoch was the father of Catherine/Eveline (Evelyn Catherine).

The married couple EDIT (William and Eveline/Evelyn) were step siblings, not half siblings.

Sue

ADDING
Also be mindful that the child Norman Ivan was ex-nuptial.
He was probably registered in the the name GORDON because Catherine McINTYRE ( the mother of Evelyn) was married to Murdoch GORDON and possibly Evelyn used that surname in her every day life to fit with the rest of the family.

In other words, the surname GORDON attached to Norman Ivan is not necessarily because William John GORDON was his father.

The child's registration at death does show William John GORDON as father, but again, it may or may not be the fact.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sue and Debra! Thanks for the update, Debra on the tool. For some reason it wasn't working on my computer and it was possibly more a case of my computer being slow and not loading and then going into a default statement saying that there were no matches. I did get some results when I used the letter plus asterisk instead of the name, so for future reference will do this as well.
Sorry, Sue I did make a mistake with Evelyn Catherine's name; it was of course McIntyre, a typo on my behalf, sorry for wasting your time there. It almost seems that there were no children born to Murdoch and Catherine's children apart from Peter Roderick's twin boys which is very odd as he has an epitaph on his grave stone that states "uncle" which infers that he did have a niece or nephew. Maybe the birth(s) was/were not registered. Strange! Regards, Deb  :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 06:55 GMT (UK) »
PS and thank you, Sue, I will in future refer to these records as Electoral Roll records rather than census records. My error again! Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 November 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sue and Debra! Thanks for the update, Debra on the tool. For some reason it wasn't working on my computer and it was possibly more a case of my computer being slow and not loading and then going into a default statement saying that there were no matches. I did get some results when I used the letter plus asterisk instead of the name, so for future reference will do this as well.
Sorry, Sue I did make a mistake with Evelyn Catherine's name; it was of course McIntyre, a typo on my behalf, sorry for wasting your time there. It almost seems that there were no children born to Murdoch and Catherine's children apart from Peter Roderick's twin boys which is very odd as he has an epitaph on his grave stone that states "uncle" which infers that he did have a niece or nephew. Maybe the birth(s) was/were not registered. Strange! Regards, Deb  :)

Do you mean Roderick GORDON MI?

A man may be an uncle to his wife's siblings children.

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 November 17 06:35 GMT (UK) »

It seems that the other son, Alexander Gordon didn't marry and probably had no children   

Marriage
1921   C919   Sarah KELLY
Alexander   GORDON

Death
1966 C3633 Alexander GORDON
Parents Murdoch GORDON  Kate MACGREGOR

Burial MI, Charleville
GORDON,Alexander,
Died 28.04.1966,
Aged 83 yrs ,
Our father.

With wife Sarah GORDON

Sue

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sue! I've been away for several days (called away to babysit grandchildren). Thank you so much for this information. Re Peter Roderick's uncle status with reference to his wife's siblings' children, Peter Roderick Gordon never married (to my knowledge) and his partner's children, now deceased, were unaware of his paternity and his partner's siblings had no contact with him. I am still assuming that he was "uncle" to his brother's children. I am still hoping to find a child/ren to Alexander and Sarah. Thanks for that marriage information. I will follow that up. I will be away yet again from email contact but will take my research further on Tuesday. Thank you again for your much valued assistance. Deb  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 November 17 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,
As Peter Roderick GORDON is the direct line of descent for your friend, she really needs to purchase his QLD death certificate.

How to is on the website. It seems an inexpensive step when this link is important to the searcher.

Depending on the knowledge and honesty of the informant, the following information may be revealed.

Name
Date
Death place
Cause of death
Parents' names
Spouse names
Marriage details
Chns names
No of chn
Birthplace

Sue