Author Topic: Gordon family from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia  (Read 2759 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon family from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
« on: Monday 20 November 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to help a woman who comes up as a dna match to me find anything about her grandfather. Her grandmother, Daisy Ethel Smith was born in Queensland, Australia in 1889 to Thomas Cobham Russell Smith and Marian Wright. Daisy married Robert Carl Schloss in 1910 at Upper Tent Hill in Qld and had children with him but she left him when she had twins named John Gilbert Gordon and Arthur James Gordon at Toowoomba, Qld in 1921. This woman is trying to establish via dna testing, the paternity of her father who was Arthur James Gordon (1921-1992). It seems that her husband Robert Schloss may not have been the father.
I have tried suggesting the process of elimination (eliminating descendants of her mother as well as her father's mother but this is difficult given that she is not a member of ancestry.com). If anyone could suggest how she might go about finding out who was a possible father of Arthur and if his name was actually Gordon this would be appreciated. Thanks, Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon family from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Daisy Gordon is the next of kin on Arthur James Gordon  service record. He also gives his birth date as 1920 not 1921
Do you have the twin's birth certificates?
Arthur James Gordon
Birth Date: 18 Jul 1920 At Toowoomba Queensland
Enlisted Warwick Queensland
Service number - QX18045
Next of Kin - Daisy Gordon
Series Description B883: Army, 2nd Al F

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »
John gives a different birth year to Arthur on his record
John Gilbert Gordon
Birth Date: 18 July 1919 at Toowoomba Queensland
Service number QX62780
Spouse - Joan Gordon
Series Description B883: Army, 2nd Al F

ancestry isn't coming up with anything other than the service records for them. No birth records, no electoral rolls.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 02:13 GMT (UK) »
From the marriage certificate, (if he married)

who did Arthur nominate as his father?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you are on the ball already, thanks! I copied the dates from ancestry trees that said 1921 as the birth date. I guess it is 1920 if that's what the records state. I would say that John made himself a year older to enlist? They were definitely twins (both born 18th July).
No, I don't have the marriage certificate but I have just messaged Arthur's daughter if she has it. I couldn't find anything on them either which is why I put it up here.
She has the birth certificate of her father and Peter James Gordon. I can find no record of a Peter James Gordon. Apparently there was some talk of the father being from Charleville and there is a Peter Roderick Gordon who lived there at that time.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 17 03:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a Daisy Gordon in the electoral rolls at Warwick Darling Downs in 1931 and 1932. Warwick isn't that far from Toowoomba where the twins enlisted.
With Daisy at Albion Street is a Peter Roderick Gordon, a labourer. This is just a very long shot. it would be good if we could find Arthur with her.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 17 03:46 GMT (UK) »
It looks like this is your Daisy as she is using the middle name Ethel in the 1943 electoral rolls but she is at North St, Gatton Darling Downs and by herself.
Daisy Ethel Gordon 20 Dragon St, Warwick in 1949. Again she is the only Gordon at that address.
The only time I can see Peter Roderick Gordon in the electoral rolls with Daisy is in 1931/32.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:13 GMT (UK) »
This is just great!!~! I am so excited that you have so quickly managed to locate this person living with her. I was looking for Daisy Schloss and didn't even consider looking for Daisy Gordon as I don't think that they ever got married, but most likely she did this for legitimacy for her children. There is a tree for Peter Roderick Gordon on ancestry.com. I will pass your findings onto this lady. She will be happy as you have managed to resolve her family puzzle!!! Thank you so so much.  :)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
PS Please Crisane, could you copy and paste that record for Peter Roderick Gordon in Warwick in 1931-32 as this is a huge revelation for that family? Thanks so much, Deb  :D