Author Topic: Help with meaning of "Rentals" in Land Tax Assessments  (Read 873 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with meaning of "Rentals" in Land Tax Assessments
« on: Monday 20 November 17 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me figure out what exactly is referred to by "Rentals" in the Land Tax Assessments?

I'm trying to link Poor rates, Manorial Records and Land Tax Assessments together, but I'm not sure how they inter-relate.
With any luck, I aim to be able to track land ownership and occupation in one village throughout the 19th Century, but I need to make bridges between records that have occupiers or owners or both to do so.

From what I've read, pre 1834 Land Tax was based on a 1692 Assessment, which didn't alter in later years as land was improved.
Was this first assessment derived from Quit Rents, or did they just divide up a lump sum for a parish using a totally independent assessment?

After 1834, does this mean that a totally new assessment was made every year to account for improvements, or did they stick to this value from then until Lloyd George's Domesday in 1911?

If anyone can help me untangle how to relate these records, I'd welcome the help.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with meaning of "Rentals" in Land Tax Assessments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a book  Land and Window Tax Assessments (Gibson guides) 2nd Revised edition by J.S.W. Gibson, Dennis R. Mills (ISBN: 9781860060540) I don't know if it is still available.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk