Author Topic: SMITH/MACMILLAN - Cambusnethan Dist  (Read 791 times)

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
SMITH/MACMILLAN - Cambusnethan Dist
« on: Monday 20 November 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if anyone can help with names like Smith and Macmillan like needle in haystack,Ive just started the tree. ???  ???
Ive found their marriage 1946 and these people are no longer alive I know that, but I would love to know their parents..brick wall..Ive even searched England for Daisy but nothing only her marriage

Robert Macmillan / Daisy Kathleen Smith married Cambusnethan Dist 1946
His DoB 18/9/1919 and hers 15/1/1925

Hope Ive posted this on right page,as not in Scotland not sure .. :)
Thank you
Sandra
Gaze,Flatman, Balls,Nichols,Graver,Gates -Norfolk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH/MACMILLAN - Cambusnethan Dist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
It looks likely that you will find Roberts birth on - https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The only GRO birth record for a Daisy K Smith is Norfolk and a tree on Ancestry confirms that of Daisy Kathleen Smith on the date you state.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
As it's Scotland, the names of all 4 parents will be on the marriage certificate. You can't see this online, as it took place less than 75 years ago, but you can order a paper copy via Scotland's People.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
"I would love to know their parents..brick wall..Ive even searched England for Daisy but nothing only her marriage

Robert Macmillan / Daisy Kathleen Smith married Cambusnethan Dist 1946
His DoB 18/9/1919 and hers 15/1/1925"

It's always best to include any known relevant details e.g. middle names as it helps others whether helping/researching your tree.

For the benefit of others this is the ref. for the marriage;

SMITH DAISY KATHLEEN
MACMILLAN ROBERT MACKIE
628/ 211
Cambusnethan

The only GRO birth record for a Daisy K Smith is Norfolk and a tree on Ancestry confirms that of Daisy Kathleen Smith on the date you state.

I wouldn't use the info. on that tree as being your woman without the details from the marriage cert. which others have said will name both sets of parents with mothers maiden names.

The tree holder doesn't seem to have seen that birth or parents marriage (on paper) as there's only a surname for the mother & an actual birth cert. would give the mother's full name as would the marriage of the supposed parents Albert V Smith & ? Jessop

I checked on FreeBMD the female is Edith M Jessop.

Do you know if Daisy Kathleen had siblings as the marriage of the supposed parents of Daisy Kathleen on the 'fancestry' tree was 1915...10 yrs prior to Daisy's birth which seems a long time...

Smith Albert V    Jessop    Yarmouth    4b   20
Jessop Edith M    Smith    Yarmouth    4b   20

Annie

Edit..A 'Brick Wall' is when you can't find anything more to back up your info. i.e. this is not yet a brick wall  ;D
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
 ROBERT MACKIE MACMILLAN was born at Cambusnethan and is on SP.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies..so appreciated..I shall continue to research and take note of all info received
 :) :)
Gaze,Flatman, Balls,Nichols,Graver,Gates -Norfolk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
The marriage in Scotland is the only document you will find with Daisy Kathleen's parentage if she didn't die in Scotland but even had she died in Scotland the marriage would be her own statement i.e. most reliable in most cases.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"