Author Topic: Garrigan of Swords  (Read 3164 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Garrigan of Swords
« on: Monday 20 November 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Can I get some ideas/help with this please?

Anne Henvey (my dad knew her as Nanny Garrigan). She is buried with husband, Patrick Garrigan, in Swords, Dublin. They have one son, in 1928, Matthew Garrigan. My dad does not remember him. My dad DOES remember another son, 'Jimmy' James Garrigan, he was in a wheelchair. He too is buried with Annne and Patrick, he died in the 80s.

I am stuck.... I cannot find a marriage for them, nor can I find the birth of James. Not sure what happened with Matthew either!

Now, by Patricks age at death he was born in 1889. So in 1911, he would be 22.

There is a Patrick Garigan, living in Swords, married for 4 years with 2 children. This I believe is the Patrick that married Anne, but this must be a first marriage. Anne appears else where in 1911 ,transcribed as Anne Henry and a domestic servant I believe.

Now I'm stuck again... I can't find the registration of the 2 children listed. I can't find a record of Patrick Garrigan/Garigan/Gargan marrying a Mary around 1907!

Garigan Patrick 22 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Garigan Mary 22 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Garigan John 2 Male Son Roman Catholic
Garigan Margat M Female Daughter Roman Catholic

Further to this, I have a newspaper article listing for Patrick Garrigan having his bike stolen in Priorswood in Swords and there is also, around 1919, a county court session where Patrick is fined because of son John stealing.

Can anyone help?
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Garrigan of Swords
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Further to my research on mr Garrigan (although i'm more interested in finding his marriage to Anne Henvey).  His birth states mother is Jane Garrigan... No father. 
He is on the 1901 census with mother Jane and 4 siblings.  I've found these siblings parents were James Garrigan and Jane Devine.  James Garrigan died in 1885, 4 years before Patrick was born. 

Jane Garrigan nee Devine died in 1927, 5 or so years before Patrick her son died. 

Patricks siblings were Margaret Mary, Bridget, John and James.  Bridget is present at her mothers death, surname Slattery.
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
"He is on the 1901 census with mother Jane and 4 siblings. "

Where??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Matthew possibly born in hospital north Dublin 1917
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBB8-G4Q

died Balrothery,Outlands Swords 1918 informant mother Mary
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05179/4429988.pdf

the birth cert not online till next year will get you mothers maiden name

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 06:24 GMT (UK) »
The matthew I found was on familysearch.  1928, mother's maiden name Henvey.

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I did find on irishgenealogy a death record for Mary Garrigan in Balrothery, quite a few years after Patrick Garrigan had died (He died in 1932).  On this death record she is the correct age as the Mary in the 1911 census,  is widowed and from Swords.

Is it possible his first marriage never ended but he entered the relationship with Anne Henvey and lived as man and wife?

But that doesn't help that I can't find his first marriage to Mary or the birth of the two children listed on the 1911 census. 

I have tried Garrigan, Gargan, Garigan.  I've tried replacing the G with a C as well. 

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 17 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Anyone have any ideas?