Author Topic: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle  (Read 298 times)

Offline MancDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« on: Monday 20 November 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

This forum was reccomended by a work colleague who has had great help from here in finding his family members details.

I hope I'm posting in the correct section, so I apologise if not.

Ok, so my mum was 11 when her brother was killed in Dusseldorf in 1968. He died in a car crash whilst serving in the army. He was only 18 years old & we have really struggled to find any details about him. It took me and my sister a good few months to get some details about him, so I am hoping there is more information out there that you guys can maybe find. My nana passed away without ever being able to visit her sons grave, and I dont want the same to happen with my mum. She is now 60 & I would like to take her to Dusseldorf next year to visit him. We have a certificate from the MOD with his details on, and I have managed to find a newspaper report from the RAOC archives of his obituary - but thats it. I am really hoping there are more details out there about him. I tried to attach the 2 peices of info we have on him, but the files are too large. I would really appreciate anybodys help in trying to find more.

His name is PTE Eric Clarke, date of death 5th February 1968, service number 24062436, regiment/corps RAOC, dob 16th June 1949.

He had a burial with full military honours & is buried in Rheindahlen. He died alongside a gentleman called lance corporal John Duncan.

Other than the newspaper obituary, and his role of honour - thats all I can find

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • A Life In Black And White
Re: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi MancDave,

Welcome to Rootschat! Have you/your mum applied for your uncle's service records?  From this link here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel there is a form for you to complete to apply as next of kin.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MancDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, and I really appreciate your help.
We contacted the MOD & was sent a Roll of Honour certificate with a bit of information about him & his burial. I was hoping to try & find some photographs as his funeral was quite heavily photograped. My mum used to have a photo of him but she lost it years ago & it still hurts her so much.