Author Topic: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle  (Read 543 times)

Offline MancDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« on: Monday 20 November 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

This forum was reccomended by a work colleague who has had great help from here in finding his family members details.

I hope I'm posting in the correct section, so I apologise if not.

Ok, so my mum was 11 when her brother was killed in Dusseldorf in 1968. He died in a car crash whilst serving in the army. He was only 18 years old & we have really struggled to find any details about him. It took me and my sister a good few months to get some details about him, so I am hoping there is more information out there that you guys can maybe find. My nana passed away without ever being able to visit her sons grave, and I dont want the same to happen with my mum. She is now 60 & I would like to take her to Dusseldorf next year to visit him. We have a certificate from the MOD with his details on, and I have managed to find a newspaper report from the RAOC archives of his obituary - but thats it. I am really hoping there are more details out there about him. I tried to attach the 2 peices of info we have on him, but the files are too large. I would really appreciate anybodys help in trying to find more.

His name is PTE Eric Clarke, date of death 5th February 1968, service number 24062436, regiment/corps RAOC, dob 16th June 1949.

He had a burial with full military honours & is buried in Rheindahlen. He died alongside a gentleman called lance corporal John Duncan.

Other than the newspaper obituary, and his role of honour - thats all I can find

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi MancDave,

Welcome to Rootschat! Have you/your mum applied for your uncle's service records?  From this link here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel there is a form for you to complete to apply as next of kin.

Offline MancDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding ANYTHING about my Uncle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, and I really appreciate your help.
We contacted the MOD & was sent a Roll of Honour certificate with a bit of information about him & his burial. I was hoping to try & find some photographs as his funeral was quite heavily photograped. My mum used to have a photo of him but she lost it years ago & it still hurts her so much.