Author Topic: Brothers, Malcolm Kenneth McDonald b1861, & Angus MacDonald of Tierra del Fuego  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Hi, I have a Malcolm Kenneth McDonald/MacDonald, born in Scotland, whose New Zealand WW1 war file gives his next of kin as “Brother, Angus McDonald, Qinta Arena, Tierra del Fuego, South America”. 
His WW1 service file shows that on enlisting, Malcolm gave his birth date as 25 Dec 1879, but that date was subsequently annotated to read “3 Dec 1861 – Birth Cert”. He was discharged in 1917 for “being over age”. He died in 1931 aged 70, which reinforces his 1861 birth date.
Googling Angus McDonald in Patagonia reveals that a person by that name worked as a shepherd in Tierra del Fuego, arriving in 1915, but he was born in 1892, some 31 years younger than my Malcolm so I can't see them as being brothers.
The Patbrit website has a 1900 marriage in Punta Arenas of an Angus MacDonald (son of Keneth MacDonald & Cristina MacDonald) to Alice Amner (daughter of Charles Amner & Susana Comings). This Angus MacDonald looks much more promising as my Malcolm's brother, especially as my Malcolm's middle name is Kenneth, same as this Angus' father.
FamSearch has an Angus MacDonald born 1867 in Uig, Ross & Cromarty, to Kenneth MacDonald & Christina McIver; and another Angus MacDonald born 1868 also in Uig, to Kenneth MacDonald & Christina MacDonald – but no Malcolm to eithet set of parents.
Can anyone help put these two brothers to the same parents?

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brothers, Malcolm Kenneth McDonald b1861, & Angus MacDonald of Tierra del Fuego
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
In the absence of the parents' names on his death certificate, I'd start by finding the birth registration of your Malcolm Macdonald.

There are 12 Malcolm Macdonald/Mcdonalds registered in 1861 on Scotland's People - none for Malcolm Kenneth specifically, but don't let that put you off. Only six of these Malcolms appear to be indexed on Family Search - and none of those show a birth date of 3 Dec 1861 - or even Dec 1861, so you can easily rule these out of your search by cross-referencing the registration district (there's a minor complication in that there are two in Tyree (Argyll) on SP).

So that gives you a maximum of six records to view to find Malcolm - assuming the 3 Dec 1861 birth date is in any way accurate. His birth registration should name both his parents, as well as the date and location that they married.

SP is a pay-per-view site - 6 credits to view each record, maximum 6 records, 36 credits = an maximum outlay of £10, which will buy you 40 credits  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Brothers, Malcolm Kenneth McDonald b1861, & Angus MacDonald of Tierra del Fuego
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth. I'll go down that track.

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
As your brothers were probably born in Uig it may be worthwhile contacting the Uig historical society http://www.ceuig.co.uk.  There will likely be someone local who could connect your names.     

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shanghaipanda. That site looks promising, but it's undergoing a reconstruction and its "contact us" and "email the committee" links result in Mail Delivery Failure. You wouldn't happen to have a current email address for the Uig Museum which you could PM to me?

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »

Googling Angus McDonald in Patagonia reveals that a person by that name worked as a shepherd in Tierra del Fuego, arriving in 1915, but he was born in 1892, some 31 years younger than my Malcolm so I can't see them as being brothers.

My great great grandfather was married 3 times, had his first child in 1837 and thirteenth in 1896 so don't automatically rule them out as being brothers.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
59 years between (half-) siblings is quite something.

I found one with a gap of 53 years, but he was only married twice. 12 children by his first wife and 10 by his second.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
1881 census Uig:

Kirkbost:

Kenneth McDonald  46 Crofter
Christy McDonald 46    Crofter wife
Malcolm son 19            Fisherman
Henrietta Daur 16        Scholar
Angus son 12              Scholar
Ann Daur 9                  Scholar
Donald son 7
Donald  son? 4

089/9/4 page 4 of 18

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Bingo! Also found them on Hebridean Connections, which has Malcolm born 3.12.1861 emigrating to Australia and brother Angus born 23.10.1868 emigrating to Chile, plus detail on their parents.
Thanks for all your help.