Author Topic: Witters of Halsall  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Witters of Halsall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witters of Halsall
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 November 17 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I'll get back to you tomorrow on that. Can't remember. Friday afternoon here so out for dinner. Had Dutton in my records but moved due to lack of evidence of matching dates. By the way, my research began because My wife was handed a shoebox by someone who had it for over 30 years. It included documents and photos. James William Cheetham Witter was a Titanic crew member and survivor. His story is well documented. His older brother Richard (1870) married Jessie Wallace. Their daughter Helen married a NZ man serving with Australian Imperial Forces in Uk and France. Surname was Burton. She had a son. This family, including parents came to Australia in 1920. Burton deserted Helen and her child Herbert Eric Burton soon after his return to Australia. Herbert served in Australian Army as a gunner in Noumea then trained in RAAF as a navigator. He was on a Lancaster bomber returning from bombing Raid over Germany but it crashed on landing. His mother died in 1980's, the last member of the family in Australia. His brother was also a smoke room steward on White Star Line ships. I have his seamanship booklet from1911/2 and much more. So, I am currently writing a book on the Witter's of Halsall, both for the family and so an Australian war hero can a be remembered.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 07:27 GMT (UK) »
In the GRO...

James Witter, 1879  D Quarter in ORMSKIRK  Volume 08B  Page 813   mmn Dutton.

Can't find a birth for Richard (1870).
There's a marriage that maybe him...

Richard Chestham Witter  m  Jessie Wallack.  1891 West Derby, Lancashire.
They are in the 1901 census living at Helsby Road, Walton On The Hill. Richard is a ships steward.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I guess my reasoning was that James and wife had a daughter 1864 and if Ann Dutton (1841) married James Witter (1840) I thought social pressure would have them married before or around the birth, not Q2, 1867. Certainly his wife was Ann.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I guess my reasoning was that James and wife had a daughter 1864 and if Ann Dutton (1841) married James Witter (1840) I thought social pressure would have them married before or around the birth, not Q2, 1867. Certainly his wife was Ann.
Victorians were not as strait-laced as they were made out to be, not even Queen Vic herself. One of my ancestors produced 4 illegitimate children during the 1860s.
Cowban

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 November 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't uncommon for people with money to tell their children to have a child out of wedlock so they could see if that child was Healthy before they married - didn't want to leave any money to any grandchildren that might not be able to lead a healthy life style - snobbery at its highest degree.
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your assistance to date. Most things are starting to fall into place although the lack of records from 1700's has me struggling to fill in an important gap. I am stuck on two Thomas Witters.
1. Thomas born c. 1720 (bapt. Eccleston / Ormskirk area) who married Mary Halliwell (1724). I have not been able to locate Thomas’ birth details or parents, except that his father was also Thomas and a stone mason.
2. Thomas Witter of North Moor Lane, Halsall may be Thomas, baptised in Hallsall, 1803, the son of Alice Witter OR Thomas, born in 1806, was the son of James Witter (1767) and Jane, descendant of Thomas(c. 1720), OR perhaps neither. This Thomas' wife was Elizabeth. I would like to be able to link this Thomas to the family by finding out exactly who his parents are.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Solidrock. I just noticed that I had not responded to your post concerning Richard Cheetham Witter, etc. Richard was a Smoke Room Steward on White Star Line ships, as was his younger brother James William Cheetham Witter, who was a surviving crew member on Titanic. I have traced direct family back to 1720 (see earlier post). By and large I have resolved most of the family history including associated families. Richard came to Australia in about 1920 wife his wife (Jessie Wallace), sister in law (Helen Knox Wallace), daughter Helen Burton and her son Herbert Eric Burton (1819). Herbert's father Albert Eric Burton, a NZ born Australian, who served in England and France with Australian Imperial Force, and married Helen Witter in 1916, deserted them upon repatriation from England.
I still have a few unsolved family linkages but am slowly working through them. Thanks and regards.

Offline Kevin42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hey there, i just found your post through some internet research. You said that you still have some unsolved family linkages and maybe i can help you with one.
(I first wanted to write you a private message, but i wasn't able to find out how, so i'm just posting it here).

I don't know how much you found out about Joseph Witter (born 1772, son of James Witter and Agnes Hesketh), but he seems to be my 6th great grandfather or so and i may have some informations you haven't got.
I'm not 100% sure if everything is correct, some things were a bit tough to find out, some conclusions and so on. But i spend many hours in my research, so theres a good chance that its not completly bollocks :D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 August 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
Readers, I again seek your assistance. John Witter (1789) married Margaret Hartley in 1809 at Melling by Maghull. Another researcher and myself are not able to find any details of Margaret Hartley. As a complication, it is possible that John married a Margaret Heatley. If anyone has access to genealogical records allowing me to determine the parents of Margaret Hartley of the Melling area, it would be greatly appreciated.