Author Topic: Jeremiah O’Connell and duplicate workhouse records  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah O’Connell and duplicate workhouse records
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Power born abt 1846 in Dublin had two children born Liverpool Thomas abt 1867 and Mary abt 1870. The children's birth dates are estimated from 1881 census in Hackney London where she was living with those children (both named O'Connell) and supposedly married to Jeremiah O'Connell There seems to be no record of her marriage to J O'C and I can't find the children's  births in Liverpool under either O'Connell or Power name.
I'm wondering whether Power was her maiden name or whether she was previously married to a Power. The only record I have with that name is from the birth of a son (also called Jeremiah) with Jeremiah O'Connell in Feb 1878 where mother's name was Power.
Would appreciate any help in untangling a likely history
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Power
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1891 census Catherine and Jeremiah had two further children - Catherine b 1883 Greenwich and Sarah b 1889 Croyden.   

I can't see a birth registration for Sarah but on the GRO Birth Index which lists maiden names there is a Catherine O'Connell registered  1883  June Qrtr 1883 in GREENWICH  Vol 01D  Page 1070 with mother's maiden name Connelly

Kay

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 06:26 GMT (UK) »
The Jeremiah O'Connell registered March Quarter 1878 with mother maiden name Power was in the district of Greenwich

There is another Jeremiah O'Connell registered March Quarter 1878 at St George Hanover Square with mothers maiden name Connely

Check the address of the 1881 census 8 Hesketh ?Place a lodging house in Kensington, with the birth certificate, they may have moved around though.   

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay and Amondg.
This gets more and more confusing because the birth cert for Catherine in Greenwich 1883 shows the mother as Connelly - yes - but the father is Jeremiah O'C Deceased. I had therefore put that cert aside thinking it must be another family because I know from tracking the father Jeremiah that he did not die until 1910 in islington Infirmary. I know that is my Jeremiah because the informant was katherine Pickering (daughter) and she was katherine O'Connell before marriage - (there are family anecdotes which confirm her as the daughter of jeremiah).
I suppose the Deceased reference could have been an error by the registrar?
In which case perhaps the mother Catherine could have been Connelly maiden name and married a Power - subsequently using both names on different occasions - or vice versa?
The variable birthplaces may not have been too surprising since both Jeremiah and Catherine were hawkers and could well have moved around.
I was chasing the Thomas and Mary children to see if I could shed more light on the mother and perhaps tie things together
Oh dear an awful lot of "ifs"!
Ian

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
The mother Catherine would always have used her maiden name when registering the children, it wouldn't matter who she married, her maiden name is required and remains the same.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I know that is what is said about gro birth registrations but I came across one just recently in my research where the only child of a second marriage was registered with the mother's first married name rather than her original maiden name.  Yes all above board, early children registered with her maiden name and a registered second marriage and birth well after that - so although probably true in most cases one can't be emphatic about it and say this was what happened in every case.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to throw another spanner in the works, but from an experience I had, I would not assume that the 1881 census shows Catherine as the mother of Thomas and Mary.  They are recorded as children of the head of house, Jeremiah, and there is a bit of a gap between Mary's birth and the 1878 birth of Jeremiah which could mean she got together with Jeremiah snr and his 2 children then started having her own children with him.

Sue

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue
However I think there may be a problem with your idea.
Although the census states Jeremiah (the older) was 32 he was in fact barely 27 - I have his birth cert in Hackney born 10/3/1854. This would mean he fathered Thomas at age 14 which seems unlikely. His wife Catherine was older and for her given age in 1881 and 1891 would have been 18 when Thomas was born. This suggests she is more likely to have been the parent.
Jeremiah was notoriously variable in stating his age (until death in 1910) which tallies with his birth.
He appears in Hackney Union workhouse records in the 1880s and overstates his age by 2-3 years throughout. Incidentally, I know those records are for the correct Jeremiah because he gives his mother and brother with their addresses as closest relatives.
So I think I should still be looking for Catherine his wife as mother of Thomas and Mary maybe as Connelly rather than Power. Can't find anything in Liverpool however.
Thanks again for help

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Did children Thomas and Mary get married if so who did they name as their father?