Author Topic: Jeremiah O’Connell and duplicate workhouse records  (Read 2530 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Power
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah Gerald O'Connell married Catherine Carrabine in Liverpool june qtr 1867
so
did Catherine Power marry a Carrabine in Ireland ??   I can't find a marriage of Power to Carrabine before 1867 on Freebmd England /Wales
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi garstonite,

Liverpool Catholic records show she married the other groom, John Murray.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
sincere apologies - thought I had found the marriage ...silly old custard aren't I ....lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
sincere apologies - thought I had found the marriage ...silly old custard aren't I ....lol

I thought you had as well  :) but never mind.

It is so frustrating.

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Slow to reply - apologies have been away.
One other bit of jigsaw following the Greenwich thread - possibly - I now have a death cert for Catherine Powers 29/8/1891, age 47 (so birth abt. 1844) Hawker of 22 Mill Lane Deptford, Greenwich District.  Unfortunately informant was Medical Officer Union Infirmary and not a family member, so no clue there.
This possibly fits with Jeremiah O'Connell birth in 1878, in Union Infirmary Greenwich with mother formerly Power and a hawker.
So there is a possibility that Catherine Power didn't marry the father Jeremiah O'C but used his name while they were together.
She was with Jeremiah and family as Catherine O'Connell in the 1891 census (i.e. just before her death). He is on his own in 1894 thro 1902 on the electoral roll in Campbell Rd Islington, a wdr on the 1901 census  and died in Islington Infirmary in 1910.
So far so good but problem comes with birth of Catherine in 1883. Although she was born in Greenwich, address Mill Lane Deptford (which fits) - the mothers name was given as Connelly and the father Jeremiah O'C was given as deceased.

I can't see an explanation for that unless she was trying to hide her identity!
That's annoying because I was following the idea that if she could use her partners name without marrying once (with jeremiah O'C) - I suppose she could have done it previously with the father of Thomas and Mary which is why I can't find them under Power.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have the information that she was Catherine  Power ? Sorry if I have missed it.
I thought the births showed Connelly.
With regard to the birth certificate, it could be an error- a presumption of the registrar; the couple may have been separated at the time and Catherine gave that information - we do not know.

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I have two certificates:-
Jeremiah O'Connell birth 1878 QtrM 01d 998. -20/2/1878  at Union Infirmary Greenwich. mother Catherine O'Connell formerly Power.
Informant - the mark of Catherine O'Connell residence Union Infirmary Greenwich.

It is Catherine's certificate which shows her mother as Connelly:-
Catherine O'Connell birth 1883 Qtr J Greenwich 1d 1070 - 20/2/1878 at Union Infirmary Greenwich, mother Catherine O'Connell formerly Connelly of Mill lane, Deptford.
Informant - The mark of Catherine O'Connell, Mother of Union Infirmary. Interestingly, perhaps, the O'Connell in the informant name is written above another name - looks like O'Connor which has been crossed out. Probably incorrectly recorded at first?

I can't find certificates and hence don't have mother's name for:
Thomas O'C 13 in 1881 census born Liverpool
Mary O'C 11 in 1881 census born Liverpool
Also I can't find cert for Sarah 2 in 1891 census born Croydon

The other Power reference is for her death mentioned above in 1891

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I hadn’t noticed the death. I had considered the Jeremiah mentioned in reply #2 Hanover Square birth.

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 December 17 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Now I do need some help!
I decided to follow up amongdg's suggestion and investigate the second Jeremiah O'C birth in St George Hanover Square in the same March quarter of 1878 as my Jeremiah born in Greenwich.
I sent for the certificate and to my surprise find that both these Jeremiahs have the exact same birth date of 20th February 1878 - one born 18 St Anns Street,  Westminster (registered 11th march) the other in the Union Infirmary Greenwich (registered 2nd march). However in the St George case the mother is formerly Connely - in the Greenwich case she is formerly Power.
(NB the other birth cert I have is for the daughter Catherine born in Greenwich Union Infirmary 31st march 1883 with father Jeremiah O'C (deceased?) with mother formerly Connelly of Mill Lane Deptford.
Surely the two Jeremiahs of 1878 must be the same child?
Has anyone come across this sort of situation before and what could possibly be the reason/explanation?
I'm inclined to believe the mother formerly Power is probably correct because on 4th Feb 1878 Catherine Connell was admitted to Greenwich Union - cause of asking relief "destitute and Pregnant" - described as Wife of Jeremiah "Removeable" laborer address not known. Then there was the birth in Greenwich Infirmary on 20th Feb 1878.
Were there reasons in those days why a mother would register her child in more than one place and disguise her name when doing that?
Any help would be much appreciated
Ian