Author Topic: Who was Sir ISAAC WOLLASTON's wife?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Who was Sir ISAAC WOLLASTON's wife?
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Sir Isaac Wollaston inherited the baronetcy and Loseby Hall in 1749. He had three children, Sarah b 1742 bap 1743, Anne b 1746, Isaac b 1749/50. From several places on the net I find his wife called Sarah Rowland, Sarah Rowland Gatward and Sarah Rowland Marche.  I can find no marriage for Isaac and Sarah for sure, although there is one in Cambridge in 1741 for Isaac Wollaston and Sarah Rowland Gatward. Fits in with the youngsters, but with the other names for Sarah around....!!!!
Sarah is described in one source as from the Isle of Wight, so Cambridge, seems odd.

Can anyone throw light on who Sarah was please?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Sir ISAAC WOLLASTON's wife?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
There's a Chesterton marriage (6 Feb 1741) for Isaac Wollaston and Sarah Rowland Gatward, a widow, of Cambridge
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
It seems she was the daughter of Ralph March, and was first married to Pell Gatward.

https://goo.gl/t2TFFa

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Lots of information to be found by googling "Sarah Rowlands Marche" and "Sarah Rowlands March"

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:20 GMT (UK) »
It seems she was the daughter of Ralph March, and was first married to Pell Gatward.

https://goo.gl/t2TFFa

Excellent detective work.  Well done!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »
BURIALS;
5 Feb 1716/17, Holy Trinity, Haddenham
RALPH March
Register Note;
"Ralph March Esqr. Died Jan 31" In margin: "Mortuary 10s"
29 December 1721 same Church
SARAH March, Widow of Ralph, Note "Heiress & only daughter of David Rowlands Esqr."

BAPTISM;
SARAH ROWLANDS March 13 Mar 1715/16 same Church
Birth 5 Mar 1715/16
Parents RALPH/SARAH March
Siblings;
WILLIAM 23 Oct 1710 (birth 20 Oct 1710)
THOMAS 24 Apr 1712 (birth 23 Mar 1711/12)
** on Thomas's this note, date must be 1712 I think;
Father: "Ralph March Esq." Child buried 13 Dec 1711

** just looked a Burials and yes 13 Dec 1712 is Burial of THOMAS
+ WM buried May 1712, Son of Ralph/Sarah

1741/42 Marriage is there also in Chesterton.

On FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much. I spent most of yesterday trying to sort that out!! She did not come from the Isle of Wight as I found from the same source as mowsehows found as well. Seemed such a major source to be wrong. Still we all make mistakes so why not major sources sometimes!! Then there were the different names!

That was absolutely fabulous ShaunJ. I did not find that one. Two marriages.

Thanks too Trish, you answered the question that started the search for Sarah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did Sarah Rowlands have a niece - apparently not, her brothers died.

What a tragic family. Sarah's brothers died as babies. Her parents die and leave her an orphan when her mother dies when she was six years old. She marries and loses her first husband. She marries Sir Isaac Wollaston and he dies in 1750. She dies in 1753 at only 38 years old. Their son Isaac dies in 1756 only six years old. There were two more orphans, Isaac's two sisters, Sarah and Anne, who both become heiresses and marry having families of their own thank goodness.

Again my thanks

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Well answers bring questions as we know, but this one is an oddity.......!!! Thought it might amuse you all. We all get them!

Checking out Sarah March Gatward Wollaston's timeline I noticed that :

Pell Gatward died without offspring in 27 Oct 1741 (They did have a son, but he died in 1735, another tragedy for Sarah).
Sarah Rowlands March Gatward married Sir Isaac Wollaston on 6 Mar 1741

There must be a transcription error here and there is no image I can check sadly.

Sarah and Isaac's first child, Sarah, was born on 19 Nov 1742.  So therefore it is more likely that they married on 6 March 1742.

Transcribers do a wonderful job and we are all so grateful to them, Like the rest of us they make mistakes!