Author Topic: Dating a photo of a naval man H.M.S. Tamar  (Read 814 times)

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a photo of a naval man H.M.S. Tamar
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if any could help me to date the photograph below please.  The ship's name on the cap is H.M.S. Tamar.  The ship was built in 1863 in London.  I think the photo was probably taken in the late 1800s.
It may be a photo of my great grandfather John Williams but I can't be sure.  Any other help would be most welcome.  Thank you.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a photo of a naval man H.M.S. Tamar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
A bit of background info on the ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Tamar_(1863)

Could you show us the back if you have it please.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, thank you , yes I'd found some info on the HMS Tamar and that's what made me curious. I wasn't sure where this photo was taken but I think it was probably in the UK.  I'm not sure if the naval man is one of my ancestors or not but his photo was in with all the old family photos.  I think he may have the name Williams or Watson but can't be certain.  Here's the back of the photo.  He could be my great grandfather who was called John Williams.  He was a ship's engineer.  They were sometimes called stokers although they no longer did the same work as the old fashioned stokers on the steamships. 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The divided back postcard was introduced in the UK in 1902 so this photo predates that but not by much.

Some photos of the ship here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89154377@N02/sets/72157633484832665/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
As the Wiki page says, HMS Tamar was hulked in Hong Kong in 1897.

There is a John Williams, serving as an Able Seaman, on HMS Tamar in 1901. Age 25, born  Penzance, Cornwall, England;

1901 Census Class: RG13; Piece: 5334; Folio: 6; Page: 3; Ed/Vessel: Tamar

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I think now this probably isn't my great grandfather.  He had finished serving in the Navy in the 1870's.  He was born in Ireland and came to England as a young man and he trained as a ship's engineer.  All of my grandmother's brothers served in the Navy but their surname was Watson.  I'll have to dig around and see if any other members of the family were in the Navy around that time.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The sailor in the photo has the rank badge of Petty Officer (2 crossed anchors below a crown) with three good conduct stripes underneath (at least 13 years service).
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 05:41 GMT (UK) »
The photo was probably taken around 1900.  It's of a chief petty officer who served on the HMS Tamar and had at least 13 years service.  If I can find a list of the crew of the TAMAR around that time it might help me to identify the person in the photo.  Thank you everyone for you help.