Author Topic: Thomas LEE from Surrey to Suffolk and back ? 1770 to 1846  (Read 870 times)

Offline Bob Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas LEE from Surrey to Suffolk and back ? 1770 to 1846
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I have been tracing my ancestor Thomas LEE or LEA from the time he married Eleanor SPENCER at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk in 1797 through to his death at Camberwell Workhouse Surrey in 1846 aged 76. (b 1770?) I have now become convinced that this man was born in Bletchingly, Surrey, per the IGI to parents Richard and Jane in 1778. The connection comes via a nephew Richard LEE (1817) sharing residence with Thomas and Eleanor in the 1841 census. Young Richard being the son of Daniel LEE a brother to Thomas, b Bletchingley 1782. That's the theory.
The problem is I could not locate the baptism entry (image) for neither brother's baptism years on Bletchingley records. Am I looking in the wrong place? maybe fresh eyes will have better luck?
Any help would be most appreciated.
cheers Bob

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LEE from Surrey to Suffolk and back ? 1770 to 1846
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The problem is I could not locate the baptism entry (image) for neither brother's baptism years on Bletchingley records. Am I looking in the wrong place?

You can access the images for the children of Richard LEE and Jane baptised in Bletchingley by searching this database on Ancestry - Surrey, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812

Thomas, 7 June 1778
Daniel, 25 Aug 1782

Offline Bob Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The problem is I could not locate the baptism entry (image) for neither brother's baptism years on Bletchingley records. Am I looking in the wrong place?

You can access the images for the children of Richard LEE and Jane baptised in Bletchingley by searching this database on Ancestry - Surrey, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812

Thomas, 7 June 1778
Daniel, 25 Aug 1782

Thanks for the dates. I do have Ancestry sub till January, and pretty sure I browsed the images and couldn't find them written in the parish registers online. I looked at the ancient parish of st Marys, but I will have another look thanks.
cheers Bob

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
The registers are indexed and a search will find them. You don't need to browse. But there are no further details given beyond what you already know.

Offline Bob Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I had another look at the image(s) of St Marys Bletchingly. For Thomas LEE son of Richard and Jane LEE also his brother Daniel LEE and this time I found him thank you.
 But apparently there 2 choices of images connected to the transcript. The initial small image on the right of the initial result and then a larger image which you are invited to click and view. The sons are listed on only one image?
Jane FIELD was Richard LEE's second wife and mother to Thomas and Daniel. They were married at Bletchingley in 19th September 1767 where Richard is described as a widower.
thanks
Bob