Author Topic: A 1918 marriage in Church Kirk  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 1918 marriage in Church Kirk
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 November 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for going to that trouble colee. It sorted out my 'senior moment'.

What a confusing family! In 1901 Catherine's birthplace is shown as Tockholes! Her mother is shown as born in Farnworth and there is also a mysterious Boarder present, named William Butterworth -- born Rochdale!

If William Thomas Butterworth died in a brawl you would think there would be something in the Newspapers - before 1906, when your Great Grandmother married (although not necessarily - she and William Thomas could have simply separated.)
I couldn't see anything about his death between 1900 and 1906 anyway.

I did find a John Butterworth aged 83 buried at Blackburn Cemetery in 1977 in the same grave as an Ellen Butterworth aged 83, buried in 1976. However this is probably the couple present in 1939 with the 2 children whose mother's maiden name was Lamb.

Please let us know when you receive the marriage certificate -- and whether or not it is your John.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 November 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
colee -- I am rather concerned about where you ordered the marriage certificate from if the estmated despatch isn't until 14th December.

I am also surprised that you have to wait so long, Did you answer no to this question when you ordered
For all events
Is the GRO Index Reference Number known?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 November 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I didn't answer that question at all. I haven't provided it for the death certificates I have ordered in the past and it doesn't seem to have held them up. Perhaps I'll try and call them on Monday to find out what that 14 December date is all about and if I can speed it up at all by providing any extra info over the phone.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 November 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
By the way Pennines it is me who is extremely grateful and thankful for your help and interest on this, I am happy to clarify as much as necessary..

...and I'm glad it is not just me who is perplexed by the dynamics of this bit of the family - but it will make it all the more satisfying when it is eventually hopefully solved!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 November 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
colee -- I think Rosie hit the nail on the head by asking you if you had inserted the reference numbers for the marriage.

I hope I can explain this without confusing you, as it is often easier to show someone something than explain in writing. Anyway here goes!
 --
To order from the General Register Office (GRO) - it is much easier for them if you can quote the reference number of the event which is given on the Civil Registration Index (ie the Register of births, marriages and deaths which commenced in July 1837).

This register is on the subscription sites such as Ancestry and Find My Past and also on a site called FreeBMD.

In this case of the marriage of John Butterworth to Ellen Tattersall search the marriages on the site of your choice (LancsBMD has the marriage year -- BUT the reference number they quote is for the LOCAL Register office at Preston and will NOT do for the GRO).

On the Civil Registration Index of marriages you will find the entry in the Registration District of Blackburn in 1918.

The details you want to complete the application form for the GRO are;
Page 1.

The type of application - birth, marriage, death -- just click the appropriate box.
Is the GRO Reference Number known --- click Yes
The Year of the event
Click Submit

Second Page;
Surname and Forename of at least the groom or the bride (or both if you wish)
Insert the Quarter of the event (in this case Q/E Dec 1818)
Insert District name --- in this case Blackburn
Insert Volume Number ---- this one is Vol 8e
Insert Page number --- ie 596

Then submit and pay.

Not giving the GRO the reference details means that someone will have to hunt through for the particular event you are requesting - which will of course cause administrative time.

Hence if you do intend ringing them you can provide the details given above -- but have a go at finding them yourself first, just for future reference so that you know where to look.

If any of this sounds like gobbledegook to you -- don't hesitate to come back! I know what I mean, but may not be putting it across very clearly.

Places of interest;

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
All made sense thank you so much for clarifying! I probably didn't bother to include a ref number as I wasn't sure which was the one they used, but all is now clear for next time - and I will probably also call on Monday to try to hurry things along.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
That's great colee -- the trouble is not knowing how much people actually do know -- and being afraid to clarify something just in case they are aware of it already. Better to be safe than sorry though!

I am pleased if the explanation helped.
Places of interest;