Author Topic: Taylor family in Scotland  (Read 6277 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor family in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Ruth , I added to my post before I saw yours.

As for a Newburgh connection....
David Taylor baptism 17th Aug. 1806 Newburgh Fife  , parents Thomas Taylor and Mary Gilchrist.
(Familysearch)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
There's a baptism in Edinburgh on 22 Jan 1780 of a Mary Anne Gilchrist, parents David Gilchrist and May Turbain.

I notice that there's both a David Taylor and a May Taylor listed in the 1851 census as children of William Taylor and Janet Keddie  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Possibly David at Crosshill Auchtermuchty ?
1851 Census(FreeCEN transcription)
Crosshill , Auchtermuchty , Fife.
David Taylor 43 weaver linen hand loom b. Newburgh Fife
Mary Taylor 30 wife b.  Auchtermuchty Fife
Martha Taylor 2 b. Auchtermuchty Fife
+2 step children.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking good.

I do hope we I haven't scared off the original poster, myself1.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 November 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
I have not myself verify any of this as a friend did the research for me. I am not in Scotland I am in Canada.
But am sure the info is correct.
I do not know what year that Robert Taylor born 1850 left Scotland and went to New Brunswick, he married in 1877 Elizabeth Howie , in Kings Clear New Brunswick Canada. On his marriage certificate it has his parents as William Taylor & Janet Keddie. I have seen this myself as I have a copy of the marriage certifacate.

I am not sure if NewBurg is one or two words.
Thank you
I have not myself verify any of this as a friend did the research for me. I am not in Scotland I am in Canada.
But am sure the info is correct.
I do not know what year that Robert Taylor born 1850 left Scotland and went to New Brunswick, he married in 1877 Elizabeth Howie , in Kings Clear New Brunswick Canada. On his marriage certificate it has his parents as William Taylor & Janet Keddie. I have seen this myself as I have a copy of the marriage certifacate.

I am not sure if NewBurg is one or two words.

I was told William Taylor was born 1816 in Newburgh Scotland,but will have to keep searching for sure,married Janet Keddie.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 November 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I was told William Taylor was born 1816 in Newburgh Scotland,but will have to keep searching for sure,married Janet Keddie.
The available evidence does not support that.

1. The 1851 census says that the William Taylor who was married to Janet Keddie was born in Auchtermuchty. Auchtermuchty and Newburgh are separate and mutually exclusive parishes. Therefore, barring errors, he cannot be the William Taylor who was born in Newburgh.

2. The death certificate of the husband of Janet Keddie says that his parents were Thomas Taylor and Mary Ann Gilchrist. The William Taylor born in Newburgh was the son of Alexander Taylor and Elizabeth Simson. Therefore they are two different William Taylors.

3. Thomas Taylor and his wife Mary Ann were living in 1851 at the same place as William and Janet and their family.

4. Thomas Taylor, Mary Ann Gilchrist or Taylor, William Taylor and Janet Keddie or Taylor all died in Auchtermuchty, and their death certificates are available to view.

I recommend that you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in some credits, and use them to download copies of the four death certificates and the original 1851 census. Then reconsider what you have been told in the light of the actual documented evidence.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
What I've discovered is that the Taylor's originated from Ireland, Scotland and England. I've been able to research as far back as the 9th century. I have Rowland Taylor (1510-1555) as my 12th great grandfather and have Baron Hanger Taylifer (1256-1336) as my 21st great grandfather. I have William II Tailefer born about 960 in my line.
Seems  some of the Taylor's immigrated on the ship Truelove to the USA. Some settled in PA, KY, TN, VA and NC. What have any others discovered?

Offline Celtic Geordie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
I'm coming into this discussion late in the day, but have a lot of information (my family tree is on Ancestry if anyone is interested).
Thomas TAYLOR, born in Errol, Perth, around 1775, father James TAYLOR, mother Elizabeth BRAES,
was my 3xgreat grandfather.
One of his sons, William, was born in Newburgh around 1816.  The confusion about his place of birth could be because the enumerator asked another family member where William was born and they gave the incorrect village/parish, or possibly because the enumerator  wrote down what they thought was correct, given the current address.  Enumerators and families are human and mistakes were made!
William TAYLOR had a son, Thomas Smith TAYLOR, in 1839 in Auchtermuchty, with Jane BISSETT and they were not married.  The 1841 census which could have helped me with my research into Jane Bissett, was unfortunately lost, as some of you will know. 
So, William TAYLOR and Jane BISSETT are my 2xgreat grandparents.
Thomas Smith TAYLOR did meet up and find his mother Jane BISSETT, who had married Michael McCULLOCH, in Glasgow and he is lodging with them in the 1861 census, with his wife Rebecca (nee WALKER) and one year old son, also Thomas.
If I can help anyone with their research into these families, please let me know.

Offline Designtech

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 October 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some Scottish Taylor family information and I'm wondering if you may have some of that information. I am looking for the parents of Peter Taylor. The info I have says he was born in 1777 Trinity Gask, Perthshire, Scotland and died Jan 5, 1860 in Duncrub, Dunning, Perthshire, Scotland.. I am wondering if he could be related to Thomas Taylor you mention born in Errol, Perth. Kind of a longshot but if you have any info that would be much appreciated. Thanks.